Beaming and offline data export

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi, I’m new to TapForms but was really glad to find it – think it will be a great solution for my application. A couple of questions – first, is it possible to beam all forms of a given type at once? For example, if I decide to have one master iPod in the field gathering data collected from several iPhones, do I need to beam each record individually or can I beam all records of a certain form at once?

Secondly, I’m working in a very remote area without reliable 3G or wi-fi connection and would like to be able to view data collected on a PC. Is it possible to bluetooth records to a PC? Or set up an ad-hoc network? I’ve discovered the backup capability, but haven’t figured out how to view the sqlite format on my PC… Could you let me know if there’s an easy way to collect data in .csv format without 3G/wifi or point me in the right direction for figuring out how to view the sqlite file?

Thanks so much. Again echoing many comments – this is a great app and I believe it will become integral to the work we are planning.

February 14, 2011 at 4:09 PM #4409

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello cms9210,

It’s not possible to beam an entire set of records from one device to the other. You need to do that 1 record at a time. However, in my next update you’ll be able to import records via email. So you could email all the records in a form to another device and then import those records on the other device.

If you export your records, Tap Forms will generate a CSV file. That can be read by Excel on your PC. If you don’t have access to WiFi, then you can just plug your phone into iTunes and use iTunes File Sharing to copy the contents of the Share folder to your desktop. That will contain all the files and folders that you see on the Files tab. In there will be the Exports folder which will contain your CSV files.

The SQLite file is in a very particular structure designed to work only with Tap Forms.

Thanks!

Brendan

February 14, 2011 at 6:29 PM #4410

Anonymous
    Inactive

Wow, not sure why I didn’t see that before, but I did a little dance when I read your note. That’s fabulous. Thanks so much.

– Carol

February 14, 2011 at 6:31 PM #4411

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Carol,

You’re very welcome.

:-)

Brendan – does happy dance with you –

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.