Barcodes for EQ Database

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Dustin Betterly
    Participant

I just downloaded this software to test for the moment. I have a lot of photo/video equipment for my work and I want to create a database for multiple reasons. Currently all of my EQ has asset tracking tags which have bar codes on them. I’d love to be able to utilize those with my database. Does the software support the use of using say an iPhone camera to read either QR codes or Barcodes?

Would it be possible for the software to create a spreadsheet based on the items scanned for creating detailed reports/spreadsheets?

October 11, 2020 at 4:27 PM #42253

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

On iOS/iPadOS, there are a few places where a built in barcode scanner: you can use a barcode scanner to import into text fields and there is also a barcode scanner in the search boxes. Via the scripting interface, I’ve also leveraged iOS’ built in barcode scanner to quickly do a scan from shortcuts on the home screen and launch a script to do a search/import flow in the app.

The multicolumn list view is the closest to a spreadsheet view but you can always export the data out to CSV for use in a dedicated spreadsheeting tool. The desktop has custom layouts but it is a little limited when it comes to making reports with nested data.

October 12, 2020 at 1:13 AM #42257

Brendan
    Keymaster

As well as Text fields as Sam mentioned, you can also scan into Number fields and Note fields too. Well, basically any field that shows the barcode scanner button above the keyboard. The Mac version can also be used to generate barcode labels too.

October 12, 2020 at 8:27 AM #42260

Dustin Betterly
    Participant

@sammoffatt, appreciate the comments input, and I apologize for any stupid questions I may ask. To start, I’m no programmer, so is there any where on this forum that documents the scripting process for barcodes/QRcodes?

October 12, 2020 at 9:40 PM #42263

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

I don’t think there’s a post for the barcoding scripting stuff, I’ve been meaning to document it. I have one other thing on prompting I want to do and then something on my Siri Shortcuts to TF script work for shipment importing (scan tracking number, update existing record if match found or create new record for later handling).

October 12, 2020 at 10:46 PM #42264

Brendan
    Keymaster

There’s an example of fetching data for movies given an ISBN barcode number. This can be combined with barcode scanning so when you scan the ISBN number on the back of a movie disc, when Tap Forms saves the values, the script will be triggered and the movie details will be filled in.

https://www.tapforms.com/help-mac/5.3/en/topic/scripts

Look for Fetch movie data from web service to see the example.

October 14, 2020 at 6:00 PM #42276

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

Finally got around to recording the video for the barcode scanner. It walks through using Tap Forms on iPadOS to create a new form, create a new script that creates records for that form and then jumps over to Shortcuts to do the barcode scanning piece. From there you can use that shortcut on your home screen to quickly scan a barcode and import it into a Tap Forms record.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.