Automatically link photos to database and export them?

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms Automatically link photos to database and export them?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

fcteacher
    Participant

Hi!

I’m completely new to Tap Forms and looking for a solution similar to a very old Applescript workaround I had.

I often take photos that I link to persons in my database. When I want to send them to the printshop, it can happen that an image contains 3 persons, so I need 3 prints (1 for each person).

I once had an Applescript for my PPC database that did the job, but since I had to upgrade, all this is a thing of the past.

My hope is, that I can use Tap Forms to:
    1.) Enter all the persons data (=> should be no problem)
    2.) Enter the numbers of the fotos (e.g. IMG_1234, IMG_2345, etc.) in a data field (=> should be no problem)
    3.) Use those database entrys to automatically link the files to the database (=> no idea if this is possible)
    4.) Export the files in a way, where I know how many persons need a print of this file (e.g. labeled folders or files) (=> no idea if this is possible)

I would greatly appreciate any feedback to my pretty complex problem…
    Thank you in advance!

May 11, 2016 at 3:17 PM #16635

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi,

I think for #2 and #3 you’re really referring to importing the photos into the Tap Forms database. You can achieve this, but you need to put the photo file names into a CSV file that you import. You also need to drag the photos into a special Photos folder location within the Tap Forms Documents area.

On the Mac version that’s here:

~/Library/Containers/com.tapforms.mac/Data/Documents/Photos

So if you setup a CSV file like this:

Photo Name     File Name
    The Terminator terminator-cover.jpg
    Hunger Games   hunger-games-cover.jpg

Then import that file and put the image files into the above folder. Tap Forms will be able to find them then. As long as the file names match up with the data in the CSV file after you import you can do this.

As for exporting, you can tell Tap Forms to export photos along with the records too. There’s options for that on the Export Records window (from the File menu). Tap Forms will create a folder with the images and a .CSV file that contains the data.

Hope that helps!

Brendan

June 14, 2016 at 7:00 PM #17365

Kurtois
    Participant

Brendan,

Following this thread with interest.

My goal is to have photos stored remotely, rather than locally. Does Tap Forms have the ability to link to photos that are stored remotely? In essence, store the photos on a web server and then have the image rendered within Tap Forms.

Please let me know if I can clarify.

June 14, 2016 at 7:52 PM #17368

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Kurtosis,

No, Tap Forms doesn’t do that directly. Although you can use a Website Address field type to store a URL to the image and Tap Forms will display the image in a built-in browser when you tap on the glob icon next to the Website Address field.

Thanks,

Brendan

June 14, 2016 at 8:21 PM #17370

Kurtois
    Participant

Brendan,

Thank you for the reply. Not what I was hoping for as clicking that link completely takes me away from the related data at hand.

Trying to keep storage costs on image storage low, while making images accessible on several client machines/devices.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.