Auto-Sort Pick Lists

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Dean Harris
    Participant

Is there a way to auto-sort a Pick List after adding new values? I know I can sort them manually by clicking Edit Pick Lists, then clicking “Sort Values…” But just wondered if there’s a setting that allows me to do that when setting up the form/list.

It wouldn’t even have to happen right away. Perhaps a trigger (or scheduled action) on database close or refresh (switching from one database to the other, etc.).

The reason I ask is I often find myself adding values, then forgetting to manually resort them. When I go to pick from the list again, because the new item is not in alphabetical order, I sometimes re-add a value that already exists.

Not a big deal, just a thought.

April 15, 2014 at 10:55 PM #9701

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Dean,

The reason why I don’t do auto-sorting of Pick List values is because I allow you to drag your values up and down to position them wherever you’d like them to be. With this you could put your most frequently accessed values at the top if you like.

So auto-sorting would be contradictory to being able to manually position your values. But that’s why there’s a sort option there.

Thanks!

Brendan

April 16, 2014 at 11:05 AM #9704

Dean Harris
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

Thanks for the timely response. I’d prefer the option of sorting manually or sorting with the click of a button. So your solution makes the most sense.

However, I was referring more to having an option to auto-sort (on/off) as opposed to it being one or the other. But I realize that may be difficult to incorporate and is not a critical enhancement.

I’m sure this wouldn’t even come into play for most users. I only encountered it because one of my pick lists (Artist) is getting rather large. I thought of entering the artist name manually instead, but I really like the consistency that using a Pick List provides. Either way, not a big deal.

Thanks again for the reply.
    Dean

P.S. I checked a few weeks ago to see if I could find my original Tap Forms review, but couldn’t locate it. Perhaps I only thought I wrote one. In any event, I submitted a new one about 10 days ago, but it still hasn’t shown up. I guess it takes while for Apple to review and post new submissions.

April 16, 2014 at 2:44 PM #9705

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Dean,

What name screen name did you submit it under? I download a list of all reviews every day and I have a history of reviews. Not everyone uses their real names though, so it’s mostly impossible to tell who has written one or not.

Today I received a review from someone asking for support. I have no way to respond to reviews unfortunately.

Thanks!

Brendan

April 16, 2014 at 3:01 PM #9706

Dean Harris
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

It should be under @129_BPM. The same ID I use for this site, Twitter, Amazon, etc. (keeps it simple) It’s somewhat disappointing because I really did take the time to write a 5-star review. I love Tap Forms and recommend it to everyone looking for a simple database solution.

April 16, 2014 at 7:54 PM #9707

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Dean,

Oh great! No worries. Your review is there in the US store. At least I see it in the analytics app I use. It was an awesome review. Thanks!

Subject: “Best DIY Database, hands down!”

You wrote it under Tap Forms HD.

You could copy and paste it to the Mac App Store and iPhone apps too if you have those versions too as that would be very helpful.

Thanks!

Brendan

April 16, 2014 at 8:23 PM #9708

Dean Harris
    Participant

OK, Last post on this, I promise.

Just before your previous reply I went into my iTunes account and found my review. Not sure why it’s still not showing up in the store (the last posted review is Mar. 29, 2014), but it does show up in my account under “Manage My Reviews and Ratings”.

In addition, I also found my original review, posted Feb. 3, 2011. So, I guess I’m not crazy after all. Problem was, when I initially went looking for my first review, I was checking under “Current Version” and not “All Versions”.

In any event, mystery solved. Now I can sleep.
    ; -)

Dean

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.