Auto backup iOS

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Doug
    Participant

Hi, is there a way to create a backup automatically, for example when leave app, or sometime when working on the bdd?
    Only on iOS please, a script can handle the job to click on the + on the Backup & Restore window ?!
    Thank you for yours ideas!

October 1, 2019 at 10:09 AM #36916

Brendan
    Keymaster

I haven’t written any scripting code to allow you to write a script that lets you automate a backup on iOS. On macOS quitting the app can trigger an automatic backup, but not on the iOS version. You have to tap the + button on the Backup & Restore screen periodically to create a backup file manually.

October 1, 2019 at 6:42 PM #36925

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

Wouldn’t enabling a sync option (iCloud, Cloudant or a CouchDB) provide a sort of backup functionality? You can’t restore previous versions but you would be protected against device loss.

As an aside, iOS also has a lot of limitations of how much work an app can do in the background. I’d be worried a backup might be enough to trigger that limit for a sufficiently large database.

October 1, 2019 at 6:45 PM #36927

Brendan
    Keymaster

Ya, I think you get 30 seconds of background activity before it’s killed. That’s the main reason why I never implemented an auto-backup function in the iOS version. Perhaps the best I could do is allow a notification to be posted that nags you to make a backup on some set schedule.

October 1, 2019 at 11:49 PM #36929

Doug
    Participant

Thanks for your answers.
    iCloud for the device and for Tap Forms works but you cant restore from previous version with these solutions.
    In fact, you can with device iCloud backup, but it’s totally incontrollable as we dont know exactly the date, and there is only 1-2 restore point.
    T think of a create a iOS reminder but i dont know how to do that with the script function.
    Thank you.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.