Auto-assign ID for each record?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Greg Maletic
    Participant

I have a form that (currently) has 100 records in it. I’d like to assign an identifier number to each. Something like a 7-digit random number would be ideal. Is there a way that Tap Forms can do that for me?

January 17, 2018 at 6:05 PM #27041

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Greg,

You could use a Calculation field and use the function RND() to generate a random number which you could use.

Enable the new “Calculate one time only” setting on the Formula Edit screen in Tap Forms 5.2.1 and that’ll cause the random number to be generated only one time for each record.

When you add a new record you’ll get a new random number.

Here’s an example that’ll return a random number between 0 and 10,000:

FORMAT(RND() * 10000, “00000”)

It will also format it so it has leading 0’s if the number is less than 5 digits wide.

Set the Result Type to Text also.

Hope that’s what you’re looking for.

Brendan

January 17, 2018 at 10:17 PM #27042

Greg Maletic
    Participant

That works great! Thank you.

(One bug I noticed: if you dupe a calculation field, the “Calculate one time only” value will always be false in the dupe, even if in the original record it was true.)

January 17, 2018 at 10:19 PM #27043

Greg Maletic
    Participant

One follow-up question: is there a way to “force” a re-calculation in one particular record if desired?

January 17, 2018 at 10:24 PM #27045

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Greg,

I fixed that bug for the next update.

As for recalculating just one record, yes, there’s a recalculate button at the bottom of the record on the Default Layout. However, it will still respect the “Calculate one time only” setting.

If you want to recalculate, what you could do is edit the formula, un-check that checkbox, then click the Cancel button so you don’t trigger a recalculation of all records.

Then click the refresh button at the bottom of the Default Layout.

Then go edit the formula again and turn it back on, but also then click Cancel.

The reason this works is because the Calculate one time only checkbox button is bound directly to the field’s dontRecalculate property. The Cancel button will prevent the records from being recalculated.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.