Attachments & deduplication

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

cf
    Participant

When I use the attachment field to attach files (rather than sym link them) does tap forms do any kind of deduplication? That is, if I attach the same file in multiple records does that take up more space for each time I do that?

I have several instances where one attachment might be related to multiple records. I have created a linked form that allows me to link multiple records to a single attachment via another form but that ends up making the process of adding the attachment and managing of the data more complicated.

As an aside I think exposing attachments as a “built in form” would be interesting. This way I could see all the attachments across all the forms in one place.

September 15, 2020 at 7:45 PM #41949

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

I believe CouchbaseLite behind the scenes will dedupe blobs, CouchDB doesn’t seem to do that though. Attachments are stored as a property of the individual record they are attached to so getting an aggregate view right now would be problematic because it’s an index that would have to be created by scanning everything.

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.