Attachements Storage

Tagged: 

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

Douglas
    Participant

When adding attachments to a record in the form where are they “stored” on my computer? Are they kept in the present folder location? Or added as part of the Tap Forms data file?

Hope that makes sense, I wasn’t able to find anything about this.

December 8, 2013 at 10:37 PM #8164

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Douglas,

It depends on whether you’re using the Mac version or the iOS version. On iOS, Tap Forms just references the file that’s already there wherever you picked it from.

On Mac when you select a file, Tap Forms will copy the file into the Attachments folder which is located here if you don’t have iCloud enabled:

~/Library/Containers/com.tapforms.mac/Data/Documents/Share/Attachments

or if you have iCloud enabled, they’ll be stored here:

~/Library/Mobile Documents/FXLPHZS84D~com~clickspace~tapforms/Documents/Share/Attachments

With version 2.0 for Mac, Tap Forms gives you the option to attach an alias to a file rather than a copy of the file. But if you attach an alias, you can’t read that on iOS if you’re using iCloud sync.

Thanks!

Brendan

December 8, 2013 at 10:45 PM #8165

Douglas
    Participant

Awesome Brendan!

That seems to answer my next question. I am creating a health records form and thinking about scanning certain documents and attaching them to the records from the Mac and was hoping the attachments would then be available via other Macs and via iOS devices and since I am using iCloud it sounds like they would? Correct?

Thanks!

p.s. I am new to Tap Forms (with the discontinuation of Bento) and I am totally LOVING the app!

December 8, 2013 at 11:32 PM #8167

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Douglas,

I’m very happy you’re loving the app. That’s great to hear and what keeps me going! ( an App Store review wouldn’t hurt either :-) )

Yes, so if you attach a file to a record on your Mac, all your other devices which have iCloud enabled in Tap Forms will be able to view that attachment too. It’s for that reason I copy the attached file into the Attachments folder.

December 9, 2013 at 11:00 PM #8170

x5.cat x5.cat
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

sorry if it was alrady answered, didn’t find it in the forum:

under IOS, is there any chance/way to storage file attachments into the app by self-creating folders?

a single step for the attach process will be welcome as well, actually you have to locate the file in dropbox (other cloud services will expand your app sales for sure), download to the import folder, then localize it in the folder and then attach to the record form.

when you have a bunch of files with their own names for a different matters/forms mixed there it’s sometimes hard to locate, attach and organize them.

congrats for the good work/service, keep going and cheers from Catalonia ////

December 10, 2013 at 1:24 AM #8171

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi x5.cat,

I’m not sure what you mean by ‘self-creating folders’. Folders that create themselves? Or do you mean that you want to be able to create folders within Tap Forms? If so, then yes, I’ve been meaning to add that ability for a while. it’s just so busy on the Files view already that I haven’t found a good way to stick more commands in there yet. But then I haven’t spent a whole lot of time thinking about it either.

By the way, the next update will have Spanish localization, so that might interest you coming from Catalonia.

Greetings from Calgary, Canada!

Thanks!

Brendan

December 10, 2013 at 2:51 AM #8172

x5.cat x5.cat
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

Thanks for your quick reply Brendan,

… and yes I meant the availability to create folders/subfolders within Tapforms Import/Export root.

As most of the things required by us, this is not an app lack but a worth for close updates if possible.

Noticed about spanish localization, anyway I saw there’s the possibility to translate the app to the Catalan as well, how can we handle it?

thanks in advance.

December 10, 2013 at 3:14 AM #8173

Brendan
    Keymaster

Ok, I understand. Yes, I would like to have tools to let you add folders and move items into folders.

As for the Catalan language. I wasn’t aware of that one, but I just looked it up in Wikipedia. I assumed you spoke Spanish because of where Catalonia is. But I guess Spanish is just one of the official languages. However, I have to also think about how popular a language is before I would want it included in Tap Forms. The reason for this is that each additional language I add makes the app file size bigger and bigger. And so far I’m not sure how many sales I’ve had in Catalonia to justify adding that language. Unfortunately I had to remove a few languages from the app recently. I removed Hebrew, Arabic, and Swedish. But Swedish may be coming back perhaps. The other languages fell too far behind so they became a mixture of English and those languages, which is not good.

December 10, 2013 at 4:05 AM #8174

x5.cat x5.cat
    Participant

about 7milion people speak/understand Catalan, anyway don’t worry we can handle it in English and spanish as well, time to time.

everything understood Brendan, technicaly I hope future updates could include this folders feature, meanwhile the tricky solution I’m actually using is to change attached original file name before importing it and writting, at the beginning, a kind of key to identify and organize the files automathicaly inside the import folder (a different number for instance for each form..)

laborious way but useful which I hope it helps anybody else.

Fins ara (c.u. later) ////

December 10, 2013 at 1:06 PM #8178

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello x5.cat

You can also use Cyberduck and the FTP server built-in to Tap Forms to create folders the way you want them first and then just put your files into the already created folders.

Thanks!

Brendan

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.