AT what size TF performance deteriorate ? Plus Pics Qs

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms AT what size TF performance deteriorate ? Plus Pics Qs

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Prashant M
    Participant

– I currently use TF with iCloud sync and the paranoid in me wishes to know at what size should we expect some deterioration in performance ? 2GB ? 3GB ? 10GB?

– Also when attaching pics inside the database, is there performance difference between using couchDB or we can keep attaching photos on iCloud without degradation.

• This topic was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by Prashant M.
    February 13, 2022 at 10:35 AM #46729

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

I think the challenge with iCloud is it’s throughput is horrible. If you’re incrementally keeping everything up to date I don’t think it’s as much of an issue because you’ll attach the photo and Tap Forms will immediately sync it. Using the old sync system in TF3, I think I had around 5GB in iCloud without too many issues. That was a different sync method but it did seem to work, it just took forever to resync data. Even a friend of mine recently lamented that iCloud Photos was going to take days to upload his library which makes me think their rate limits are the same for even Apple products.

Ultimately you can keep using iCloud so long as it works for you and when it stops migrating to another sync backend like CouchDB is relatively painless. I’ve started a number of simpler documents on iCloud and then migrated them to CouchDB later though I haven’t moved anything of significant size. I think if I was excessively paranoid, I’d make a backup on my Mac of the TF document with sync disabled on it (this is important!) and put it on removable storage that I can safely eject so that I know it’s not going to get touched. I’d then setup CouchDB and wait for that to sync whilst sending my master document to the other devices to ensure that they all are using the same base document again for the sync and nothing weird happens. I’d also disable the iCloud sync on the old devices for those documents and take a backup just in case I find that there was something missing. That’s the paranoid me, normal me would probably just flip it and see how it goes but I also make regular backups of my TF documents too so I usually have that safety net.

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.