applescript support and open local files

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Script Talk applescript support and open local files

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Bert Rietveld
    Participant

Javascript support is a great addition to Tap Forms, but has some limitations (for good safety reasons): It cannot open local files. Unless I’m missing something, it cannot trigger an AppleScript (which could open local files). Putting a local file URL in a website field results in “Tap Forms Mac 5” does not have permission to open…”. Dropbox file URLs work but I cannot move everything over to Dropbox (>2TB). Some mechanism to script a button to get to local files would be very good. Does anybody know of a way how to do this?

August 20, 2019 at 12:46 PM #36407

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

I don’t think this is a scripting limitation, this is a MacOS App Store sandbox limitation. App Store apps can only access files in its sandbox or files that you have used the Apple file dialog to select.

Are you using the App Store version? I thought at one point there was a stand-alone version that might not have the same limitation (perhaps try the trial version?).

August 20, 2019 at 1:03 PM #36409

Bert Rietveld
    Participant

Sam, so glad to receive an answer from you. I follow all your posts!
    No, I bought tap Forms directly.

August 20, 2019 at 2:56 PM #36410

Brendan
    Keymaster

The Mac App Store and direct download versions are both sandboxed, so they both have the same security limitations.

In the next update though, the Finder should take you to the local file when you click the globe button on the website field. From there you can double-click on it to open it. It’s just Tap Forms is no longer allowed to open the file directly.

August 20, 2019 at 5:42 PM #36414

Bert Rietveld
    Participant

Thanks, Brendan. Waiting then (impatiently) for the next update ;)
    I’ll continue my workaround for now: Copy the URL to the clipboard and running a fastscript or using keyboard maestro.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.