Apple Watch Complication

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Justin Allen
    Participant

I am wondering if you were planning on adding an Apple Watch Complication. I just found your app and have already written a very simple database for viewing on the Apple Watch. I plan on writing several more as time goes on. For my use having a complication where I can call this up with just 1 touch would be a great timesaver.

Thanks

October 26, 2018 at 5:27 PM #31430

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Justin,

I hadn’t thought about a complication before. Not really sure what I’d display in it. There’s not a lot of room in complications, especially for an app like Tap Forms which stores tons of data.

Thanks,

Brendan

October 26, 2018 at 5:34 PM #31431

Justin Allen
    Participant

Thanks Brendan. In this application I am using it in the healthcare area. I have a listing of 75 lab tests that we do in the ED on a regular and knowing what color tube blood goes in is vital and a huge time drain if you have to redraw them. Most are easy but I really wrote it for the odd ones where I end up calling the lab to ask them. My thought was a simple complication that would allow for a one touch opening from the face of the watch. I understand about the display issues. Best guess for me would be the name of the database that would open, or an option to select a sort order for the opening database. In my case I could sort them by color or alpha via the complication.

Just a few thoughts. Thanks for the quick reply!

Justin

October 27, 2018 at 6:40 PM #31456

Stan TAYLOR
    Participant

I second the above.

I thought Complications were just Shortcuts that on being tapped opened the respective App at an appropriate or convenient place?

Tap Forms could probably use the TF Logo, possibly a derivative of the full sized version dependent on how it actually displays on the Watch Face, to directly open the TF that has been set up to be opened on the Watch. I assume that the Form would open as last saved?
    This, assuming starting from a blank Watch Face, in a worst case scenario would save frequent users from doing something like:
    1. Press Side Button [or Press Crown] to illuminate the Watch Face
    2. Press Side Button again to dispaly Apps Available on the Watch
    3. Access the Group or List of Apps TF App
    4. Tap on Refresh to display the Form Name
    5. Tap on the Form Name to open it

By comparission it would bevery useful if the chosen Form could appear simply by tapping a Watch Face icon. Simply a Press and Tap.
    Factor in the sensitivity of the Watch, large, clumsy or tired hands then a ‘few’ additional actions may well be necessary to complete the sequence?
    In fairness the above List is dramatically shortened if TF is accessed on a frequent basis.

April 18, 2019 at 10:46 AM #34441

Simonux
    Participant

I agree. To have an icon on the watch face just as an alias to activate the app would be great…

April 18, 2019 at 10:53 PM #34446

Brendan
    Keymaster

I’ll have to look into that. I’m not sure if Apple would allow just an alias to launch the app as a complication or if it has to do something more than that. Although their Workout app works basically like that. Except the little running man animates.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.