Participant

iMAC: 2017 27” Intel Core i7
    OSX: Version 10.12.6
    TF 5.2.2 (Build 867)

iPhone: Version 5
    iOS: 10.3.3
    TF: 5.2.1 (Build 741)

Apache CouchDB: Version 2.1.0

Cloudant previously worked very well for me. The switchover date to Bluemix came and went. For a couple reasons, I decided to give Apache CouchDB a try and not continue with Cloudant/Bluemix sync.

Before starting any syncing, I copied the TF files from my mac to the iPhone to assure I started from the same place and had the identical database name.

Following the Tapforms on-line support for Apache CouchDB Sync configuration and set-up, I was able to successfully setup a CouchDB server (Single Node) on my Mac and have several TF documents sync up to the CouchDB server from TF mac. I could see the CouchDB files update in the CouchDB2 library. For this trial period, I did not set up SSL—one step at a time for me.

Here’s where I’m stuck. I have not been able to successfully sign-in and sync from the iPhone. I have confirmed the database number is correct; selected CouchDB, defined the same server as shown on the mac; and included a valid username and password for the CouchDB document. Auto-sync enabled.

I receive this pop-up message on the iPhone: “Sign-in Failed: Please check the server URL, User Name and Password to ensure they are correct”. As far as I can tell, they are correct.

Any ideas?

October 15, 2017 at 11:37 PM #25427

Brendan
    Keymaster

There’s a setting on the settings screen called bind address.

What do you have that set to?

Try setting it to the same IP address as your computer.

You may have to restart CouchDB after that.

Although for me I was able to get it to work if I set it to 0.0.0.0. Your mileage may vary.

October 17, 2017 at 7:00 PM #25443

1Levite
    Participant

Cracked it! Thanks Brendan

CouchDB defaulted to the 127.0.0.1 as the bind_address which I guess means there is no “listening” for any other device than the CouchDB server, which in my case was the same machine as my TF5. I put in 0.0.0.0 and after a lot of fumbling around, restarts, etc., it seemed to do the trick to sync to my iPhone/iOS. I note that there are two bind_addresses–one under section chpptd and one under section hpptd. Not real sure of the differences in function, but they both are 0.0.0.0 and so far everything works.

I noted in the CouchDB documentation that there are some alternate bind_address alternatives:

0.0.0.0 allows CouchDB to listen to any available IP address
    ::1 gives IPv6 support listening to the local address
    :: gives IPv6 support for any available IP address

Now on to the SSL recommendation….

October 17, 2017 at 11:39 PM #25447

Brendan
    Keymaster

Excellent! I’m glad that worked for you. I’m not sure the difference between the bind_address parameter under each different section. I haven’t played around with it all that much other than to figure out how to do it and for periodic testing.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.