Alternatives to pick lists

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author

LeoC2
    Participant

I was wondering (I know, that can be dangerous) if it’s on the horizon to add another features to TF. As an alternative to the pick list or the star ratings (limited to 5) would it be possible to set up a scale to choose from?

To be clearer, what about the ability to choose a number for example from 1 to 10, or 20, or whatever value by simply clicking a radio button from a list? This idea is similar to the pick list but is displayed outright on each field like the star ratings are now.

Leo

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    January 29, 2016 at 1:15 PM #15782

Leo
    Participant

Second vote :-)

January 29, 2016 at 6:54 PM #15785

Brendan
    Keymaster

Or maybe just a way to change the icon used for the rating symbol?

January 30, 2016 at 8:20 AM #15793

LeoC2
    Participant

But that keeps the rating the same as it is now. What I’m proposing is a form of pick list that is displayed as in the screenshot in my original post. The user can set it up as any alphanumeric set.

January 30, 2016 at 1:15 PM #15795

Brendan
    Keymaster

So then basically radio buttons as a way of selecting a Pick List value?

January 30, 2016 at 1:18 PM #15796

LeoC2
    Participant

Yes, exactly. But with the ability display in horizontal rows.

January 30, 2016 at 1:31 PM #15798

Brendan
    Keymaster

I was considering allowing you to have a segmented control for that sort of thing.

Attachments:
    January 30, 2016 at 1:48 PM #15800

LeoC2
    Participant

I think that would work just as well Brendan. But we would need more than 5 options, perhaps as many as 20 or more.

January 31, 2016 at 7:36 PM #15824

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Leo,

Well, I don’t know how 20 across would look though. Might get pretty cramped. Unless you have a big screen or very small values.

January 31, 2016 at 7:57 PM #15828

LeoC2
    Participant

Can’t it be made to wrap like text according to screen size?

January 31, 2016 at 8:20 PM #15835

Brendan
    Keymaster

No, not those segmented controls. They’re essentially one big horizontal set of buttons all stuck together. They can’t wrap.

January 31, 2016 at 8:58 PM #15837

Cliff Tarrance
    Participant

Maybe a slider of some sort? Perhaps with a scale to label the value range and an optional input field next to it for entering the number?

Attachments:
    February 1, 2016 at 8:21 AM #15840

LeoC2
    Participant

A slider is a good alternative too. Move the slider and a box shows the value chosen.

The whole idea behind this proposal is to force users to choose from a predetermined list and NOT enter anything manually. I still would like to see the ability to lock a field to a Pick List however, that is still very important in my book.

Leo

February 4, 2016 at 2:03 PM #15873

LeoC2
    Participant

Just noticed this. FormConnections can do the radio buttons. While their app isn’t as sophisticated as TF and I don’t find it practical for my needs they do have some abilities lacking on TF such as the radio buttons, the ability to make fields required, the ability to make pick lists required, and some others.

They also have what’s called a “Kiosk mode.” This is interesting. Once selected the form becomes strictly an input form and all buttons and other options that are not directly related to input or new record input disappear from the screen. A password is requited to get out of kiosk mode.

Attachments:
Viewing 13 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.