Alternate way to import tapforms_db.sqlite file?

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms Alternate way to import tapforms_db.sqlite file?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

ndroste
    Participant

Hi all,

I’m currently rolling out a series of forms to approx 50 iphones/ ipods which will be using identical forms as interviews etc. I’m aware that I can email individual forms, and I can import the tapforms_db.sqlite file using the itunes file sharing function. Both of these options work exactly as described.

However, I’m wondering if there is a way to email and open the tapforms_db.sqlite file, without having to connect each device to a computer running itunes.

I tried opening the tapforms_db.sqlite file from mail on my phone (the same way as if it was an emailed form) and it didn’t seem to do anything. It appears in the “imports” section in tapforms but has a picture of a key beside it, I’m assuming this means locked…!?

I know this is not essential functionality, but it would make the experience of updates etc. for my 50 users much easier, and they would only have to receive/import 1 file without the need to connect to a PC. If it’s not a current feature that’s cool, just wondering if maybe I’m doing it wrong?

Thanks, Nic.

September 29, 2011 at 1:53 AM #4865

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Nic,

Actually you can do this. But you just need to generate a backup file instead of just the TapForms_db.sqlite file. So go to Tap Forms, tap on the Backup & Restore function in the Tools area, then create a backup file. Now, using iTunes File Sharing, copy the backup file to your computer. You can email the backup file. Then, in Mail on the iPhone, tap “Open In Tap Forms” or “Tap Forms HD” on iPad. Tap Forms will launch and the backup file will be copied into the right spot. Tap Forms will then automatically display the Backup & Restore screen where you’ll be able to select the backup file and perform a restore.

Hope that helps!

Brendan

September 29, 2011 at 2:23 AM #4866

ndroste
    Participant

Ha, it definitely helps, the backup file worked perfectly. Thanks mate!

As a side issue, I’ve got a lot (maybe 20) backup files in tapforms now and they aren’t all always displayed in the backup and restore list. It looks like there are some that maybe come from a previous version that had a different file name structure or something. Usually it’s just the older ones that are displayed in the list, but then the most recent backups are all visible in itunes and will show up in tapforms if I open them from email like you described before.

Is there any way to delete the old backup files?

September 29, 2011 at 2:33 AM #4867

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Nic,

Yes, in Tap Forms you can swipe to delete the files. I’ll look into the issue with not all the backup files being displayed. You can also delete them from within iTunes File Sharing just by pressing the Delete key on your computer. iTunes will prompt you to delete the selected files.

Thanks!

Brendan

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.