All forms lost after update to iOS5

Tagged: ,

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Frederic_1
    Participant

Hi,

i just updated to iOS5. I made an backup from my iphone via iTunes before (with iOS 4.5). After the update I found an empty TAPFORMS on my iphone(all forma are lost). Then I tired to restore the Backup from iTunes which dosn’t work since the backup isn’t any longer comaptible with iOS 5. Does that mean that my data is lost?

Could you describe how to update to iOS 5 without data loss.

October 13, 2011 at 11:58 PM #4891

Brendan
    Keymaster

Did you download the latest 2.1.5 of Tap Forms?

How were your forms all gone? On the Forms tab nothing showed up? Did you perform a separate Tap Forms backup first using the Tap Forms Backup & Restore facility?

Thanks,

Brendan

October 14, 2011 at 12:04 AM #4892

Frederic_1
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

I updated to the latest 2.1.5 Tap Forms before I updated to iOS5. When I open Tap Forms now I get the 2 sample forms but not more.

I didn’t backup Tap Forms because I thougt by making a backup with iTunes should be enough backup.

October 14, 2011 at 12:12 AM #4893

Brendan
    Keymaster

It should be, but sometimes iTunes fails to restore all 3rd party app data, so that’s why I added the separate backup & restore facility.

However, there is a possibility of getting your data back by extracting it from your iTunes backup. There’s an app for Mac called iPhone Backup Extractor. If you have a Mac you can download it from http://supercrazyawesome.com

I don’t have any affiliation with the developer of that app. But it has helped some people get their data out of their iTunes backups.

What you need to do is open the program, find the Tap Forms backup, then extract it. Then find the TapForms_db.sqlite file which contains all your data (other than photos, audio recordings, drawings, and files). If you have any of those, they’ll be there in the backup too. You’ll need to copy them all out to a place you can find, then zip them up into a Tap Forms backup file. Name the backup file something like “TF-MyBackup.zip”. Then using iTunes File Sharing, copy that file to Tap Forms, then go to the Tap Forms Backup & Restore area and you’ll see your backup there. Tap on it TF-MyBackup.zip entry in the list and then tap on “Restore Backup”.

Let me know if you have troubles with any of that.

If you’re on Windows, then there’s another program called iPhone Backup Extractor from http://www.iphonebackupextractor.com. I’ve never used that app though.

Thanks,

Brendan

October 14, 2011 at 12:31 AM #4894

Frederic_1
    Participant

Thanks Brendan for the quick reply. I will try your hints and reply asap

Best regards

Frederic

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.