Adding new device to encrypted database

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

tonyt
    Participant

Hi Brendan

I have my file encrypted between my imac and ipad. I just set up my ipod touch and downloaded tapforms on to it. I set up icloud sync and the data file syncd on to my ipod no problem. However, I can open it without needing to put in the password. Is this right. i thought the idea was that a password was needed to read an encrypted file?

Cheers…

June 24, 2017 at 1:03 PM #23593

Brendan
    Keymaster

Yes, this is right. You need to re-encrypt the document on every device if you used iCloud to download the file. The data is encrypted on Apple’s servers. It’s encrypted during transit over the Internet. But it’s only encrypted on the device if you explicitly tell Tap Forms to do so. If you used the Send Document function to send a document from one device to another, that document would of course still be encrypted. But not if you get it from iCloud.

June 24, 2017 at 11:14 PM #23596

tonyt
    Participant

So do I just encrypt it on the ipod with the same password as used on the imac and ipad?
    Cheers….

June 24, 2017 at 11:23 PM #23597

Brendan
    Keymaster

Sure, if you like. It’s up to you. You can technically have different passwords on different devices for the same document. But that might get confusing for you.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.