Adding data to relational forms

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Katarr
    Participant

I really love the relational capabilities of the product. It was quite easy to create my intial data structures for my “application” (a database for tracking Disney Pins). I am however running into a problem. I do not want to hand type all the data in all of the fields, especially when I can cut and paste most of it on my desktop. Try as I might, there does not seem to be a way to import records into a form and link to the parent form. I am guessing that is because the system creates it’s own key when a record is linked. I even tried to create a “shell” record (one that is linked), but there is no way to update the record on the PC and send it back.

Am I missing something? I’ve got about 3000 data points that need to be entered and doing it by hand is not an option.

Thanks,

ROBIN.

July 14, 2010 at 5:25 AM #4144

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Robin,

You can import into a linked form actually. When you are on the linked form’s list view where you would normally tap the + to create a new record that would be linked to the parent form’s record, just tap the action button and select “Import Records”. Make sure the file you are importing is inside the Imports folder in Tap Forms. Then all those records will be linked to the parent form’s record that was selected.

But you have to do this for each parent record.

Thanks,

Brendan

July 14, 2010 at 3:30 PM #4145

Katarr
    Participant

Interesting. I actually tried that before I made the post, and it didn’t link them. I tried it again this morning and it did. The only thing I might have done differently the first time is to access the child form directly as opposed to through the parent forms. Regardless, it works, which will save me a ton of work.

Thanks!

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.