Added File locations

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

ct4
    Participant

Hi – I have a very useful setup using Tap Forms – and I attach – or rather – add pdfs to the form from a folder structure on my Mac. If I now move this folder that is on my Mac somewhere else on my Mac (dropbox has let me down here and I’m abandoning it) – will I still be able to access these files from my Tap forms. I suppose what I am asking is – does Tap Forms make a copy of these added files and store them somewhere else – or are they linked to the folder where they came from? (I guess I could experiment and delete one on my Mac and see if it is still available – but I’d be interested to know what happens)

• This topic was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by ct4.
    • This topic was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by ct4.
    March 8, 2023 at 8:21 PM #49117

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi ct4,

The answer is it depends.

If you’re talking about folders, then you would have had to use the attach alias function. In that case, no, Tap Forms does not make a copy of the folder.

But if you’re talking about files, then that also depends. If you use the + button to attach a file or dragged and dropped it into the File Attachment field, then yes, Tap Forms makes a copy of the file. If you first clicked on the plus-arrow button, then that’s the alias attach button. Tap Forms simply adds a reference to the original file and doesn’t copy it into the database.

You can always do a test with a new database document or a new test form and see what happens when you use either of the two functions.

Thanks,

Brendan

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.