Access to Tap Form throughout office

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

colinz
    Participant

Although I have been using Tap Forms for many years, the penny has dropped with my colleagues that this would be a great resource for other staff to access and edit betwen one another.

Be grateful for any pointers from other users.

Thanks
    Colinz

October 3, 2019 at 8:47 AM #36943

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

If you have everyone on the same network and you trust everyone to be more or less responsible, you can just have everyone get a copy of Tap Forms, send the document to each person and then use the Peer to Peer sync to keep everything up to date. If you have a server, I’d personally suggest running CouchDB and have everyone sync to it and then also run backups of that CouchDB server as an extra copy of your data in case something goes wrong.

October 3, 2019 at 11:41 PM #36946

Brendan
    Keymaster

There’s an added complexity with the Nearby sync solution though. Peer topology. Device A and B sync together, but now Device C wants in on the action. So do you add Device C to both Device A and Device B? Then does Device C also have Device A and B listed? What if you have a dozen devices now? It gets awfully chatty on the network with the potential for failures.

I’d highly recommend setting up one device to be the master and all devices sync to that. And if you’re going to do that, then I’d recommend just setting up an Apache CouchDB server. It can even be one of the Macs that you use Tap Forms on. Just don’t turn it off. Let all the other devices connect to it on the network.

But also be aware that the security controls right now would allow anyone to do anything to the data, even delete it all.

October 4, 2019 at 3:51 AM #36953

colinz
    Participant

Hi Brendan and Sam,
    Thank you to both for your full and considered answers to my question.

I will go away and get up to speed on CouchDB and see if I can set up what you suggested.

Have a great weekend.
    Colinz

October 4, 2019 at 11:09 AM #36955

Daniel Leu
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

But also be aware that the security controls right now would allow anyone to do anything to the data, even delete it all.

You mentioned in another thread that you are working on multi-user support with some access rights settings. Do you have an estimate when this will become available?

Thanks,
    Daniel

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.