Able to Open Encrypted File

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

mrbill
    Participant

Hello- This one I’m not able to solve:

Challenge: I’m able to open a db doc that is (or should be) encrypted.

Setup: Tapforms 5.3.18 on 11.3 – File is using iCloud Sync
    Details: I loaded TF on a new machine and the DB file was loaded via iCloud Sync. Shows up as a DB Doc just fine when I launch TF. Even shows the lock in the file (see image). When I click on it, it never asks for the password. When I go to preference, it asks me to confirm the password. But not matter what I put it in there (including correct password), the ‘Encrypt’ button stays inactive.

Any thoughts?

Thx!

April 27, 2021 at 1:01 AM #44248

Brendan
    Keymaster

When you transfer an encrypted document that way, the database is not actually encrypted. It’s encrypted on the original device, then decrypted to sync to iCloud. But iCloud stores it encrypted and transfers it encrypted, but when downloaded, it’s encrypted during transfer, but not when stored on the device.

So you have to specifically re-encrypt it on the other device.

Alternatively, and a better solution is to use the Send Document function to send a copy of the document over to your other device. Then it’ll for sure be encrypted the same as on the original device.

Thanks,

Brendan

April 27, 2021 at 2:49 PM #44250

mrbill
    Participant

Hey Brendan- Thank you as always.

The send document is brilliant. Awesome feature. Followed these instructions and worked great: https://www.tapforms.com/help-mac/5.3/en/topic/send-to-another-device

While I have your attention: I’ve been using Tapforms as a password manager. Using iCloud Keychain to enter the data, but also storing passwords, serials #s, etc and syncing between my ~5 Macs via iCloud. Anything wrong/bad about using Tapforms for this? So far so good but thought I’d ask.

Thx!

April 27, 2021 at 7:46 PM #44251

Brendan
    Keymaster

Nothing wrong with it at all.

I’m glad the Send Document function worked well for you.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.