A way to number records? And date the found searches?

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms A way to number records? And date the found searches?

Tagged: ,

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Sandee Cohen
    Participant

I apologize for my incorrect language, but I don’t know the proper way to explain my request.

I have a set of records that contain jokes for my comedy routines. I need to use the search features to create a sub-set of records. This subset will have a layout applied that will list all those found jokes as a running list down the page. So far I think I’ve done it correctly, but I need the following:

I need each joke to be numbered as a numbered list. These numbers would change depending on the joke’s position in the list. The number would change for each search.

Also, I would like a field that would show the date for that specific search results. So a result of 10 jokes in one week would have a different date from the 5 jokes in another search.

Once I create the numbered list, I would want to export as a Word Doc, RTF, or PDF file.

If you understand my request, can you help me create the proper fields in the layout? And please, in language that a somewhat-addled 70-year-old woman can understand.

July 10, 2019 at 11:51 PM #35875

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Sandee,

Well, if you’re using the Mac version and you switch to the Multi-Column List View (by clicking the button in the toolbar at the top of the window or selecting it from the View menu), then Tap Forms will number the records for you. But it’s not a visible field that could be printed out. It’s just for display.

You can create a Saved Search and give it whatever name you like. So you could create a search and call it “July 11, 2019” if you like. The list of jokes that appear though would have to make sense for the Search Rules you create in your Saved Search.

You create a Saved Search by clicking the filter button just to the left of the Search field on the toolbar at the top-right of the window.

Once you’ve filtered your list of jokes, when you print the list, Tap Forms will print the form and selected Saved Search name on the printout.

Hope that gives you a bit of something to go on.

Thanks,

Brendan

July 11, 2019 at 4:13 PM #35880

Sandee Cohen
    Participant

Thanks for this advice. I was hoping a I could use one of the data field commands

July 11, 2019 at 5:46 PM #35884

Brendan
    Keymaster

Well you could use the DATE() function in a Calculation field to extract out a day number from a date. Is that what you’re looking for?

Something like:

DATE(Some Date Field; “D”)

That would give you the day of the year (1…365) for the specified date field “Some Date Field”.

July 11, 2019 at 5:47 PM #35885

Brendan
    Keymaster

Oh, and the different date patterns you can use in the DATE() function are explained here:

http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr35/tr35-31/tr35-dates.html#Date_Format_Patterns

July 12, 2019 at 4:08 AM #35895

Sandee Cohen
    Participant

Let me try to explain what I’ve been looking for. I was hoping there would be a calculation field that would start with the number 1 and then use some variation of the Count command to increase the number by one digit for each record.

The date thing would simply record the date for that day.

But saving the search might be enough.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.