33,000 records into Tapforms

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

issie
    Participant

Hi there, I have just exported the tag files on my MP3 files around 250GB worth collection to csv. The record size is 33,000 will Tapforms be able to handle it?

March 23, 2010 at 12:48 AM #4004

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Issie,

Wow, that’s a lot of records. I have never done much with more than 11,000 records before. It will take quite a while to import that many records. The fewer the number of columns you have, the faster it will import. How many columns do you have? Just note, that for each column, that’s 1 insert into the database. So if you have 2 columns, that would be 66,000 inserts. Then the search index gets updated on top of that.

Don’t forget, this is also just a phone, and not a full fledged PC or Mac :-)

Thanks,

Brendan

March 23, 2010 at 3:57 AM #4005

issie
    Participant

12 colums in total.

Being a DJ I thought it would be a good idea to take my music listings with me. Now this is just proof of concept so if Tapform breaks while importing this amount of data I wouldn’t be that bothered or disappointed.

March 23, 2010 at 4:42 AM #4006

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Issie,

DJ, very cool. I used to do that when I was in University.

Anyway, 33,000 x 12 = 396,000 inserts. Oh, plus there’s one insert per row on top of that. So 429,000 inserts into the database plus the indexing, which really is another 33,000 inserts into the index table. Phew! Well, that’s the problem with having as flexible a data model as Tap Forms has.

It’s technically possible, but it will take a while. And then when you go to access the table, it might take it a few seconds to load in the list each time you view it. Perhaps if you could break them up into separate forms, maybe by genre, that would be better.

Thanks,

Brendan

March 23, 2010 at 11:57 AM #4007

issie
    Participant

Thanks for your quick reply..I’ve decided to clean up the data a little and then try it out over the weekend. I have questions relating to other aspects for the app but will create a new post for that.

Keep up the good work,

Issie.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.