Watched TV Shows

Tagged: 

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Peter Riley 3 weeks, 2 days ago.

• Author

Ryan M
    Participant

Playing around some more with Tap Forms’ scripting. I created a form that lets me pull a TV series from IMDB and then also creates a table within each record with a list of all of the episodes. I have a checkbox that I can check off whenever I watch an episode.

Couple of nice features:

• The “Completed” checkbox in the form will check off all of the episodes in the table</l1>
    • If all of the episodes are marked as watched, the “Completed” checkbox will get checked
    • You can add the same series twice. It won’t create a new record. If there are new episodes, it will automatically add them to the existing record.

To use this, you’ll need to create an API key at http://www.omdbapi.com

• This topic was modified 8 months, 1 week ago by  Ryan M.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    December 9, 2018 at 2:47 PM #32556

Ryan M
    Participant

For those curious, here is the script for pulling the TV show and its episodes from omdbapi.com

https://gist.github.com/rjames86/d29ae0de333a863c831a8f7379c973e3

December 9, 2018 at 10:22 PM #32567

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Ryan,

That’s fantastic! Great job with the scripting!

Brendan

July 13, 2019 at 6:41 PM #35899

Andrew Mead
    Participant

Hi Ryan,

This looks great but I’m a bit stuck on how to make it work. I have imported the template, but unsure how to generate the api key or where to put it

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
    Andrew

July 13, 2019 at 7:18 PM #35900

Andrew Mead
    Participant

Hi

Ok I have now managed to generate an API key and have pasted that in the script in TF.
    Now when I run the script it asks for a IMDB URL which I paste in (example for The 100 would be https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2661044/ but then the script does not seem to do anything after that.

Is there something I am missing.?

Thanks
    Andrew

July 17, 2019 at 9:19 PM #35934

Ryan M
    Participant

Hey Andrew,

I just tried the script again in my own form and it worked fine. Do you see any errors or anything when clicking on the menu Scripts > Show Console Log? Keep that window open when running the script.

One thing I’ve noticed is that the TV show won’t automatically appear. You have to click out to another form and come back and it’ll be there.

– Ryan

July 19, 2019 at 7:11 PM #35960

Andrew Mead
    Participant

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for your response. Yes the clicking away from the form did resolve the issue of the script not appearing to run.

I have found one other oddity though if you wouldn’t mind checking it out. Again using the V series The 100 via https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2661044/ if I run it now it does not pick up any new episodes since the first time the script was run.

In the case of the The 100 there are at least 9 new episodes list on imdb that the script is not picking up and adding to the table.

I have tried deleting the table and re running the script but I get the same result. In case you want to try he same I have added a screenshot showing what my most recent episodes are

Many Thanks for your help
    Andrew

Attachments:
    July 20, 2019 at 7:58 AM #35963

Ryan M
    Participant

Hey Andrew – Do you see any errors or anything when clicking on the menu Scripts > Show Console Log? Keep that window open when running the script.

July 20, 2019 at 9:36 AM #35964

Yvette M
    Participant

Where do you use the API key? I’m a total newbie, so this is probably too advanced for me- BUT, I’d love help. I got the API key. And, I imported the form. Just don’t know where to go after that…

Thanks in advance,
    Yvette

July 20, 2019 at 1:36 PM #35971

Yvette M
    Participant

Hi, I figured out where to put the API key. Now, how do you make the script run? When I go to scripts/ show console log/ it stays blank

July 20, 2019 at 1:44 PM #35974

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Yvette,

There’s a Run Script button on the Scripts tab for Mac. Click the Scripts tab, then select Import from imdb and then press the Run button. It looks like a black triangle. Like a play button on a video or an MP3 player.

On iOS, view the list of records in the form, then tap the action menu button, then tap on the Run Script command.

Thanks!

Brendan

July 28, 2019 at 6:27 AM #36073

Peter Riley
    Participant

This is brilliant, thanks. Until now I have been tracking my TV show progress with a spreadsheet, but this script does a much better job.

One issue though – the table seems to miss some episodes, even though they’re there on IMDb (see attached).

Attachments:

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.