Want db to automatically show total records by group

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms Want db to automatically show total records by group

Tagged: ,

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Amy
    Participant

When in Multi-Column List View I want the db to automatically add up the records in each group and show me that subtotal. For example, in a recipe db if I have 300 recipes total and I’ve set up a query that groups them by a “Main Meat” field (e.g. chicken, pork, beef) I want the Multi-Column view of those query results to count up for me how many records are in the Chicken group, the Pork group, and the Beef Group. Right now as far as I can tell, it shows you each group and displays a number next to each record but it doesn’t subtotal for you. (i.e. it shows records 1-102 are Chicken, 103-189 are Pork and 190-300 are Beef) But I have to do the math myself to know there are 86 Pork recipes and 110 Beef recipes.

January 21, 2020 at 1:23 PM #39320

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

Slightly lateral approach to the problem would be to create a second form with your meat types in them and then use a link to form with join type to pull out the different types. Then the other form should be able to give you the aggregate numbers via the link to form field.

January 21, 2020 at 2:36 PM #39321

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Amy,

At the top-right of the multi-column list view is a little menu button. Click on that and choose Show Group Summaries. Tap Forms will then show you the totals at the bottom of each section. As long as you’re also seeing the grand total at the bottom of your columns. If not, click the Sigma button to show the calculations row. Then click on the popup buttons to choose what you’d like to display Total, Average, Minimum, Maximum, or Count.

Thanks!

Brendan

January 22, 2020 at 8:16 AM #39324

Amy
    Participant

Thank you Brendan! That was exactly what I wanted.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.