Vacuum Database is failing

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Shelly Yomano
    Participant

I have created a large form, and in the process of testing different character formats to correctly import csv data I have created and deleted the form quite a few times. My database size is now 3.2GB, and the “real” data is perhaps a few hundred MB at most.

Now when I run the Vacuum Database utility from Database Maintenance (on a 63GB iPhone6) it runs for a minute or two and then TapForms closes itself. When I open it back up, it appears nothing has changed.

I can, and have, run Analyze DB and Re-Index DB, and Re-biuld Search Index, but I need to recover space by vacuuming. I have tried a dozen times, same failure each time.

Is there a limit in SQLite to the database size for “vacuuming”? Any suggestions?

Shelly

June 13, 2015 at 3:43 PM #13995

Frank Tikket
    Participant

I am having the same problem where my database is artificially inflating in size but nothing is being added to the database…

June 13, 2015 at 8:29 PM #13996

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Shelley,

I would recommend copying your database file out to your Mac and loading it into Tap Forms Mac and vacuuming it there. It will have more memory.

Or alternatively you can use a tool such as http://sqlitestudio.pl to vacuum it.

The iPhone doesn’t have enough internal memory to be able to vacuum a file that big.

June 15, 2015 at 9:07 AM #14008

Shelly Yomano
    Participant

Since I have a PC, the Mac option isn’t available.

Having some problems, but I am hoping to get it all synced to my iPad (taking many, many hours) and then do the vacuum from there.

I’ll keep you informed, but if the iPad fails also, is there a PC-based solution?

Shelly

June 15, 2015 at 9:52 PM #14016

Brendan
    Keymaster

You can do the Vacuum Database on a PC too. I just don’t use a PC, so I’m not very familiar with any PC apps.

Although there’s one from SQLabs.com that has a Windows version with a Vacuum Database button:

http://www.sqlabs.com/sqlitemanager.php

Thanks,

Brendan

June 16, 2015 at 7:41 AM #14022

Shelly Yomano
    Participant

Brendan,

I am in the midst of vacuuming the database on my PC, using SQLite Studio.

Assuming this works properly, how do I get this file back in place within the app? Do I use iTunes to replace the db file that is there (since I used iTunes to get this copy of the file onto my PC)?

Thanks,

Shelly

June 16, 2015 at 1:49 PM #14024

Shelly Yomano
    Participant

FINAL UPDATE:

After much trial-n-error with SQLite Studio, DropBox, iTunes, PC, and mobile devices, it now is fixed! The 3.2GB database is now 260MB and syncs between iPad and iPhone. And vacuum and other db maintenance utilities work.

Thanks for your suggestions, Brendan

Shelly

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.