Updating Forms?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve just imported approximately 6,000 rows to a double-digit form. It took a reasonable amount of time.

As the PC based file has almost daily updates is it possible to just add the new records without importing the entire file?

Thanks,

Robert

February 2, 2011 at 5:54 AM #4379

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Robert,

Hmm.. I think I answered a question like this from you before, but I’m not sure. So here goes again :-)

Yes, you can import new records into the same form by selecting the form you want to import into and then tapping on the Action menu button at the top-right of the list of records view and selecting “Import Records”. Then you just need to select the file which has the same structure as the form. That means, the file should have the exact same column names in the header row as the field names in the file.

Hope that makes a bit of sense anyway.

Thanks!

Brendan

February 3, 2011 at 12:10 AM #4382

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m a bit unclear on this answer myself.

Does that mean that after he imports a 6,000 record csv file into TapForms he just has to point to the same file two days later that now has 6,100 records and TapForms will only import the 100 new records, ignoring the 6,000 previously imported? If so, that’s great.

Bob M.

February 3, 2011 at 12:15 AM #4383

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Bob,

Well, that all depends on whether or not he exported the CSV file from Tap Forms and included the form_record_id in the export. If so, then when you re-import the CSV file, Tap Forms will perform an update of the existing records and add any new records that didn’t have a value in the form_record_id column. But it might take a while to do that many records since it needs to look up in the database for every record to make sure it’s there or not to determine whether it should do an update or an insert.

It’s quickest to just import a file with only the 100 extra rows into the form.

Thanks!

Brendan

December 4, 2012 at 7:26 AM #5634

islandjosh
    Participant

I don’t mean to bring up a zombie thread, but I found this information about exporting the form_record_id very useful to let me update the records on import. However, I ran into a problem.

When I import the csv file, it properly updates the records that already had a form_record_id, but it crashed the iOS app once it hit records with an empty form_record_id (the new records to be inserted). I got around this by simply importing those records alone with no form_record_id column.

It’s the only snag so far in in a great app!

December 5, 2012 at 4:39 AM #5638

Brendan
    Keymaster

I’ll look into this. Sorry for the crash.

Thanks,

Brendan

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.