Update Question

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

tonyt
    Participant

Hi Brendan

I am using TF 5.0.10. Build 1581. With no auto check / update built in, how do I know if I am up to date? I know I can download the trial version to get the latest version, but the download link only says TF5, there seems to be no way of checking this out first, or am I missing something? PROBABLY!

Cheers

tonyt

March 26, 2017 at 8:53 AM #21718

Tyson Schoeber
    Participant

Tony’s question prompted me to check the version number of my copy. It was 5.0.10 (Build 833). The App Store does not show any updates available but http://www.tapforms.com currently offers version 3.5.19. Hmmm.

March 26, 2017 at 12:06 PM #21721

Brendan
    Keymaster

There’s 2 different builds for Tap Forms 5. One is the Mac App Store build 833. The other is the direct download version, build 1586. I may have uploaded a new build at some point to my website without updating the notification system for the update. You can download the free trial again to get the latest version. I think I had a couple of new builds in quick succession and didn’t want to annoy people with constant updates.

There is a Check for Updates command under the Tap Forms Mac menu for the direct download version. The Mac App Store doesn’t have such a thing because Apple doesn’t allow it.

I’m working on Tap Forms 5.1 now which I hope to finish up soon and release soon.

I was asking people to see if they wanted to beta test it for the new iCloud sync option, but nobody has taken the bait yet :(

Thanks,

Brendan

March 26, 2017 at 4:31 PM #21726

scneophyte
    Participant

I’m on 833 as well. Is there any benefit to updating to 1586? Are there release notes somewhere on this website (apologies for asking first before looking)

March 26, 2017 at 4:55 PM #21728

Mathew Mitchell
    Participant

Brendan: I’m just visiting this website after several months away. Yes, I’d be glad to help beta test iCloud syncing! However I bought the product from you directly, not the Mac App store. Will iCloud syncing still be available for me?

March 26, 2017 at 5:45 PM #21729

Tyson Schoeber
    Participant

It strikes me that having two active versions of the program (i.e the one on the Mac App Store and the one on your website) could be problematic if users inadvertently move back and forth between them. For example, it’s not hard to imagine someone having one version at home and the other version at home.

For that reason, I’d favour pushing ALL updates to the App Store and not worry about bothering people with “extra” updates (as noted above)! As much as possible, everyone should be using the latest stable version.

March 26, 2017 at 5:52 PM #21731

Brendan
    Keymaster

The build numbers are different between the Mac App Store version and the direct download version just to help me know which version you’re using. There are subtle differences between them. I also have the two versions because Apple doesn’t allow upgrade discounts on the Mac App Store. So I wanted to be able to do that and the only way was to have a direct download version.

Since last WWDC, Apple has allowed direct download apps to use iCloud so it works now in the version downloaded from my website.

The direct download version is updated a bit more frequently than the Mac App Store version because I don’t have to go through the lengthy review process. So if there’s a critical bug fix, I can get it out right away.

March 28, 2017 at 5:46 AM #21760

footlooseboss
    Participant

I was asking people to see if they wanted to beta test it for the new iCloud sync option, but nobody has taken the bait yet :(

I’ll beta test.

March 28, 2017 at 10:19 AM #21761

Brendan
    Keymaster

Footlooseboss, please email to support@tapforms.com with your contact info and I’ll set you up.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.