Unsupported Bento Field Types

Tagged: 

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author

Brendan
    Keymaster

Just a heads-up, with Tap Forms version 2.0, the following field types are not supported during the Bento import process because there are not equivalent field types in Tap Forms. Well, the encrypted field type is supported in Tap Forms, but I haven’t checked to see how Bento exports those just yet, so it may be ignoring them at the moment.

IM Account
    Encrypted
    Message List
    Simple List

Thanks,

Brendan

December 24, 2013 at 11:49 AM #8465

Roy
    Participant

You can add – Date Created and Date Modified to your list.

December 24, 2013 at 1:53 PM #8470

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Roy,

Yes, that’s right. There is a logical reason why I did not set the data created and date modified values during a Bento import. The reason is iCloud sync. If you were to initiate an iCloud sync at any time and then import a Bento template, if I were to set the date created and date modified values from the Bento template, those records who’s dates were set to values earlier than the last time you initiated an iCloud sync would never get uploaded to iCloud because Tap Forms would wrongly assume they had already been uploaded before.

I could probably set the date created values though since it’s really only the date modified values that I use to determine if a record has been synced already.

Thanks,

Brendan

December 24, 2013 at 2:36 PM #8472

Brendan
    Keymaster

Ok, I’ve just added the ability for the Bento importer to import the Date Created and Date Modified fields. The Date Created value will get populated with the value from the Bento template. But the Date Modified value will get set to the current date & time in order to support iCloud syncing.

December 27, 2013 at 11:03 AM #8511

Roy
    Participant

Works great! Thanks so much for the quick fix.

March 3, 2014 at 9:47 AM #9271

Hi, just realizing that importing my 5000 contacts from Bento will make me lose their address. Quite weird! So why can I import the address field via csv import, and not when importing a backup file from bento?

Thanks.

July 6, 2014 at 7:04 AM #10511

Renato Joves
    Participant

I agree with Jean. I can see the Address fields but the values are all null. Can this be addressed quickly? Spending $25 for this product hasn’t been justified at all. I smell a refund if these limitations keep coming.

July 24, 2014 at 12:08 AM #10555

Brendan
    Keymaster

In the next update, the Bento Address fields will be imported and a separate Text field will be created for each component of the address.

My ETA for the next update is sometime around the release of OS X Yosemite.

Thanks,

Brendan

September 23, 2014 at 4:25 PM #10887

thinkingcat
    Participant

Hmmm… I don’t see “location” (gps) on that list, but it doesn’t seem to import to Tap Forms from my Bento template export?

September 23, 2014 at 7:31 PM #10891

Brendan
    Keymaster

I double hmmm…. you :-) because it should import location data. I wrote code to do that. It should just show the longitude and latitude values in the records.

If you send me an example Bento template you’re working with, I can give it a try here.

Thanks,

Brendan

September 24, 2014 at 7:58 AM #10899

thinkingcat
    Participant

Sure — I’ll send that along to support@ … Thanks!

September 24, 2014 at 5:07 PM #10900

Brendan
    Keymaster

So it seems that I am missing one special case for importing location fields properly. I’ve updated the code for Tap Forms Mac 3.0 which will be able to include the location fields that you sent me.

Thanks!

Brendan

September 25, 2014 at 9:43 AM #10910

thinkingcat
    Participant

That’s great — thanks for working out a fix for it!

October 22, 2014 at 3:35 AM #11231

Richard
    Participant

Now that Yosemite is released can you let me know when the address fields will be added on the next update?

I’ve just bought the app and transferred by customer database from Bento to Tap Forms and at first glance it seems to be the only thing missing.

Thanks

Richard

October 22, 2014 at 11:22 AM #11239

Brendan
    Keymaster

That’s in Tap Forms Mac 3.0. Waiting for review at Apple. Hopefully any day now. It’s been with them for a week.

November 6, 2014 at 5:57 PM #11644

Marcus Muench
    Participant

First of all, thank you very much for making this software! It is wonderful to find an alternative to the now dead Bento.

These are the little issues I’ve observed in my Bento import:
    1) Time calculations such as a date+3 weeks=new date do not seem to be possible. While on this topic it would also be nice to display time by user defined measures (like in Numbers) such as weeks, weeks+days, etc. Working with the default seconds is a bit silly.
    2) We often used the networking feature to be able to log-in from another account, it would be nice to add that back in if that even works with iCloud.
    3) We seem to have a bug when duplicating an entry, which cause the program to crash. We have to use blank entries.
    4) There is some funkiness in text fields in layouts. I’ve copied and pasted some only to have them disappear on me. Seams you have to make them from scratch. The text insertion box is also odd in that it results in a collapsed text box that has no size to begin with. This leaves you double-clicking on an invisible box to start writing and then later adjusting the size of the box to see your text. Lastly, sometimes text boxes move a little after exiting the layout tools, but going back in and resetting them does eventually get the job done.
    5) It would also be nice to have index cards as a paper size option for the layouts (3 X 5 inches). We work around this by using the rulers to keep the layout within the Index card dimensions on a larger paper form.

November 8, 2014 at 7:26 PM #11669

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Marcus,

1. You can use the new Result Type function on a Calculation field set to Date to return an absolute date value. But you need to do a bit of math to get the “3 weeks”. So do something like this:

[My Date] + (60 * 60 * 24 * 7 * 3)

Because all date values are stored as seconds in the database and all calculations are done based on seconds, you need to convert seconds into weeks by multiplying. Hopefully the above formula is understandable. 60 seconds, 60 minutes, 24 hours, 7 days, 3 weeks.

2. Hehe… I wish I could just add that feature back. Unfortunately I haven’t written multi-user network sharing yet. But it is a goal of mine.

3. Do you mean duplicating a record causes a crash? I would love to receive a crash log output from you when this happens. Just email it to support at tapforms.

4. There is a bug with copy and paste of layout objects. You have to drag them out when you design your layouts. I’ve fixed that for the 3.0.1 update.

5. You could use the new label feature to get your 3×5″ index cards. Just create a new layout, set the “Design for:” property to Labels and then select a label which matches your index card size or create your own.

P.S. Sorry I didn’t reply earlier. I didn’t see your message hidden within this thread until now.

Thanks!

Brendan

January 24, 2015 at 11:08 AM #12786

Perrin Parkhurst
    Participant

Not sure if I should post this here or somewhere else. I just finished importing my first database from Bento. Using Tap Forms (v3.0.3) 611 and Bento 4.1.2 —- One set of records had (I say had because it did NOT import to Tap Forms) a field named “Mos. Held” — where it consisted of calculating the number of months between two date fields. When I originally designed my Bento data base I got assistance from Bento staff to arrive at a formula (I’m not a programmer but thought it could be done). The calculation for the “Mos. Held” field in Bento that worked was:

(Year( Sale Date ) – Year( Purchase Date )) * 12 + Month( Sale Date ) – Month( Purchase Date ) – (Day( Sale Date ) < Day( Purchase Date )) + ” Mos.”

FYI- Both the “Purchase Date” and the “Sale Date” had the format Month Day Year that was set through a pull down window that displayed a calendar. (see attached .tiff document)

Is there ANY WAY to recreate these results in Tap Forms?????

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    May 15, 2015 at 2:49 PM #13717

chrmln
    Participant

Just downloaded TapForms version 3.5 because my Bento has been giving me a scare lately. Noticed the encrypted field option is available but Bento template didn’t bring in the passwords. Is there an easy fix to bring them over yet?

May 16, 2015 at 5:30 PM #13733

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Chrmln,

Just covert the encrypted fields to plain Text fields in Bento before you export the template. Then import that template into Tap Forms. Tap Forms will never be able to read the Bento encrypted fields, so you need to do this step first.

Thanks,

Brendan

June 17, 2015 at 10:21 PM #14037

Hope on Wheels
    Participant

My Mac Book Pro battery consumption become faster when I am using Tap Forms. Anyone have the same situation?

Viewing 17 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.