Transfer database to new computer

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Corey Hilz
    Participant

I am switching to a new computer and would like to know how to transfer my database to the new computer. Is it as simple as locating the database file and copying it to the new computer? If so, please tell me where to find the database file.

Appreciate any info on how to get all the database data transferred.

April 1, 2014 at 6:11 PM #9591

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Corey,

You can use the Backup & Restore function to do this more easily than hunting around for the database file. Use the Backup command from the File menu. Store the backup somewhere you can get access to it from your other computer. Then use the Restore command on the other computer to do that.

Alternatively you can use iCloud sync on both machines to transfer the data.

Thanks!

Brendan

April 1, 2014 at 8:31 PM #9593

Corey Hilz
    Participant

Thanks, the Backup & Restore worked great to get the database to my new computer. With your suggestion about iCloud sync, I then used the sync to get the same database on my MacPro and MacBookPro, so that I can access it from either machine. Is this a safe and reliable way to work on one database from two computers? The iCloud sync documentation focuses on using a Mac with an iPhone/iPad. Just wanted to make sure all should go smoothly with two Macs.

Also, after syncing to my MBP and doing a test backup, the backup file size is significantly smaller than the backup file on my MacPro. MBP: 75MB, MacPro: 117MB. Should this be any reason for concern? I assumed the sync would put the same info on both machines, so I was surprised at the significantly different backup file size (which I assume reflects the size of the actual database file).

April 2, 2014 at 12:28 AM #9598

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Corey,

The backup files contain more than just the database file. It also contains any photos and other files that you may have attached to your records.

Do you have any photos, audio recordings, drawings, etc. attached to your records?

It’s possible the sync hadn’t finished by the time you made the backup. Those other files (photos, etc.) get synced independently of Tap Forms.

Thanks,

January 17, 2017 at 5:25 PM #20800

Enrique Mendez
    Participant

Hi Brendan,
    Sorry if this is not the right forum. Just wanted to ask what is the appropriate procedure to transfer my Tap Forms license to a new computer I bought. I am upgrading to a new machine and will be retiring the old one (obviously I would first uninstall in the old machine). Let me know if this is possible and what is the right procedure.
    Thanks so much.

January 18, 2017 at 12:23 AM #20803

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Enrique,

If you have the direct download version of Tap Forms Mac then go to the Tap Forms menu and select the “License…” menu item.

Copy the license key and then click the Deactivate License button.

Now transfer that license key over to your new computer (even in an email would work).

Then launch Tap Forms and enter the license key when prompted.

But if you have the Mac App Store version all you need to do is go to the Mac App Store and click on the Purchased button and then click the INSTALL button to install it on your new computer.

January 20, 2017 at 10:35 PM #20831

Enrique Mendez
    Participant

Thank you so much Brendan. As always great support!
    All the best,
    Enrique

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.