Too complex to do?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Roger Neilson
    Participant

Ok I have three forms lets call them A, B & C. They are all different as to what they are tracking, but they all have a common data field in them – ‘location’.

Can I set up a form that would allow me to search for a specific location and display the results from the three forms A, B & C on the same screen?

What I am after is to search a location and find out what is there from the three forms.

If that is not possible is it a case of combining the three forms into one so I can do the search? I think that should be possible, but it will make the form very big to accommodate all the data fields

Roger

January 8, 2015 at 10:04 AM #12610

Ron
    Participant

How about having a 4th form “Location” that has a one-to-many relationship to A, B & C? You could then search this form to find all occurrences of the Location in the other forms.

January 8, 2015 at 10:08 AM #12611

Roger Neilson
    Participant

I shall give that a try, wasn’t aware that a search on a form would give results that way.

Roger

January 8, 2015 at 12:22 PM #12613

Roger Neilson
    Participant

Nope, by setting up a fourth form I can get it to search, but it won’t search just the linked forms, it needs to be set to search ‘all forms’ and then it does, bringing in data from forms that are not at all relevant.

Roger

January 10, 2015 at 12:42 AM #12620

Brendan
    Keymaster

Ya, you can only search the current form or all forms. Searching is limited to searching fields of the parent form only. That is, you can’t build a search which will let you target child forms while searching the parent form. Obviously you can search directly in a child form because a child is form is also a parent form but without any children of its own.

January 10, 2015 at 12:52 AM #12624

Roger Neilson
    Participant

Over the last 24 hours I have combined the three data forms into one and that is then searchable so I have sorted it.

Thanks

Roger

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.