Syncing nearby

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Peter Riley
    Participant

Hi,

Am I right in thinking that, if I want my Mac, iPhone and iPad to all remain in sync, I need to select all devices on each iOS device? That is, I can’t rely on just syncing each iOS device with the Mac, because otherwise changes to the database made on one iOS device will appear on the Mac, but not on the other iOS device?

Thanks

December 31, 2016 at 4:41 PM #20704

Brendan
    Keymaster

Sync happens only when you make a change on a device. It works by pulling from the device that made the change.

So if the Mac is your main “hub” in your configuration and you make a change on one of your iOS devices, the Mac will get the update. But the iPad won’t get the update unless you make a change on the Mac. By making a change on the Mac, that will tell the iPhone and iPad to request a list of the changes made on the Mac (including the changes it synced from the iPhone). It’s at that point that the iPad will receive date changed on the iPhone via the Mac.

Hope that didn’t sound too confusing.

If you don’t want to have to make changes on the Mac, then yes, the Mac, iPhone, and iPad should each have the other devices listed. So if you make a change on any of the devices, the other 2 devices will get those changes. It’s much simpler with Cloud syncing because the server is always online and is just one machine that each of your devices connects to.

Thanks,

Brendan

February 6, 2017 at 11:08 PM #21073

kai2020
    Participant

Hi! I’m having the same problem right now. I use syncing nearby and for a while it was working quite well with my iPad receiving all the changes made on the Mac and vice versa. In the middle of the afternoon the Mac said it could continue syncing and the error was CBLHTTP 401 error? It hasn’t synced since then.

February 7, 2017 at 12:16 AM #21075

Brendan
    Keymaster

401 Error is an authorization error. Did you set the Sync Password on one device but not on the other? If so, try clearing the passwords and see if it works. Or set them on both sides to the exact same value.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.