Synchronization Requests and Problems

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Michael Nelson
    Participant

Hi,
    At some point a more detailed synchronization guide would be great. I have been trying just about everything and cannot get my mac, ipad, and iphone to sync. All are on the most latest versions of the operating systems and tap forms. I have now signed completely out of icloud on all of them and then signed back in… I have tried a lot of things. But it would be great if there was a clearer “if this fails, then next try “x”” set of instructions. It would also be great to have a clearer indication on how long to wait at each step. Should I expect it to take more than 30 minutes? 1 hour? 2 hours? The forums suggest for some people it takes some time.

I appreciate that many of the problems might be about iCloud and not Tap Forms. Perhaps there could be a supplementary iTunes sync option? Or something else as a backup? I have been trying to get this to work for over a week now. And this is the one of two times during the year when I most need it to happen. In a couple weeks I won’t care for another 4 or 5 months. So it is definitely frustrating that the one way to make this work doesn’t work!

As I write this my ipad has been on “resetting sync” for the last 20 minutes… I’m pretty sure I’m about to give up…

November 25, 2014 at 2:40 AM #11926

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Michael,

It should take only a few moments to complete the Reset iCloud Sync function, unless some other sync operation was going on at the same time or if you were resetting from multiple devices at the same time without giving iCloud a chance to propagate the reset from one device to another.

If you’re resetting sync, it’s best to wait until the other devices lists of Registered Devices will clear themselves. Then you know you’ve given iCloud the time it needs to propagate the changes.

I would recommend a full reboot of all your devices. That seems to get iCloud sync working properly again for many customers. Other customers need to delete the Documents & Data for Tap Forms from the iCloud Manage Storage area. There’s a separate sticky post at the top of this forum that explains how to do that.

Thanks,

Brendan

November 25, 2014 at 8:08 AM #11945

Michael Nelson
    Participant

Thank you. It now seems to be working. I guess the full reboot + deleting all documents & data helped.

But one of my main points above is that it would be very helpful if there was a central place on the main support page that carefully listed steps to follow in an IFTTT way.

December 4, 2014 at 4:12 AM #12094

Patrice Hof
    Participant

Hi Brendan,
    I had in another thread the same request for a comprehensive guide. With the answer to the question some of us have: when can I be sure that the sync is ok? What is the signal? The appearance of the devices in the registered devices list? The appearance of the date of last sync? It is still not clear whether and how many time I have to wait after having reactivated iCloud sync on one device.

As far as I am concerned, syncing is always a problem. After having run the whole procedure one more time (apart from iCloud logout, which is very boring and time consuming, and already made two weeks ago without any results), here are the remaining problems:
    I have 5 devices (3x OSX 10.10.1/TF 3.0.1 and 2x iOS 8.1.1/TF 3.9.2)
    1) My iPad doesn’t appear in the registered devices list (see screenshots)
    2) The sync between the MBA and the iphone doesn’t work well:
    – The iphone appears in the device list, but the date of last sync is not communicated to the other devices.
    – Nevertheless, a modification on MBA is correctly transferred to the iphone.
    – A subsequent modification on iphone doesn’t appear on MBA.
    – A third modification on MBA is correctly transferred to the iphone, but the 2nd one still doesn’t appear on MBA…

I haven’t had the opportunity yet to test syncing with another mac or between the macs.
    I understand the automatic download and manual upload of changes. The encryption key is the same everywhere (checked the Keychain). I deleted Documents&Data before retrying the sync…
    Any further clue?
    thanks

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    December 5, 2014 at 12:52 AM #12112

Patrice Hof
    Participant

Hi Brendan,
    Every day brings its batch of surprises!
    20 hours after the full reboot of my ipad, it seems to be taken into account for syncing: the ipad appears in the list of registered devices, and it displays the other devices. Syncing tests still remain to be done. It’s the good surprise of the day…

BUT…

Switching on the MBA this morning, the iCloud sync has been deactivated on the MBA.
    Even if the MBA still appears in the registered devices list on my iphone…
    I’ve tried to re-activate it but after having ticked the box and confirmed my wish to activate iCloud sync in the dialog box, the activation process seems to idle. One hour after, the progress wheel is always turning (see screenshot).

When I leave the iCloud sync panel, the activation process seems to stop: if I come back to the panel, the wheel has disappeared but the box is still not ticked…

What can I do now?

Thank you very much for your help

Attachments:
    December 5, 2014 at 2:51 AM #12114

Patrice Hof
    Participant

The idle process ends up crashing TF (see attached doc.)
    At relaunch, how miracle! the list of registered devices has come back!!!
    But the ipad still not appears, and the iphone still not have a last sync date, whereas the TF on my iphone indicates date and hour of last sync.
    And the DB on the MBA is still not up to date (the new records and changes on my iphone haven’t been transferred on MBA).

Hope this can help solving my problem…
    Thanks

Attachments:
    December 5, 2014 at 6:39 AM #12126

Patrice Hof
    Participant

Hi again,
    A couple of hours later, the MBA just loses again the connection to iCloud Sync, without having done anything particular: I was working on my MBA (word, mail, safari and so on), TF open in the background. I just put TF in the foreground, click on the iCloud sync setting button, and I notice that the list is empty again, exactly as described in reply #12112 above.

I don’t understand anything :-((

thank for your help

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.