Switching from Handbase to Tap Forms – importing linked records and pick lists

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms Switching from Handbase to Tap Forms – importing linked records and pick lists

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Anne O’Keefe
    Participant

Hi there

I have been using Handbase for years, since the Palm OS days, and really like it but for one thing that made me finally switch: lack of cloud sync.

So I just purchased Tap Forms for Mac and iPhone and am starting to transfer my data. I have “databases” (=Tap Forms “forms”?) with “pop up” fields (=Tap Forms “pick lists”?) and fields linked to other databases (aka forms). (I’m just trying to confirm that I understand the terminology in Tap Forms.)

I have searched the forum, but haven’t found answers to my questions so here goes.

I suspect there is no way to export linked forms from Handbase in a similar way as Bento (i.e. template), so I’m looking for some advice. For my database with a popup field, I exported the database (aka form) to csv and then created a separate csv with a list of all the unique pop up (pick list) choices. One question is, should I recreate a form with pick list field or should I make 2 forms with a “link to form” field instead?

(It is my passwords database. The field “password” has a pop up/pick list with a list of all the passwords I use. I want to import the data and continue to add to it.)

I was trying to create two forms and create a field in one with a link to the second. I realized that I don’t have a link field (i.e. a key), so I was thinking I’m going to have to create a new field that is linked to the passwords form and then manually go through each record and pick from each list using the imported text field. I have over 600 records, so it seems daunting. And I don’t think I did it correctly anyway – I linked the forms, but in the parent form, the child form is marked “0” records, but the child form has all the records.

Second question is, should I use pick list instead? If so, can I import a pick list? I know I would also have to go through manually picking each password for each record, so it’s still not ideal.

I saw some mentions of using another program to create record IDs and then linking them in Tap Forms. Are there any instructions on how to do this? I don’t know if there is a way to see the field in Handbase that contains the link info it uses.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

October 11, 2015 at 9:00 PM #14977

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Anne,

On iOS there’s an Import Values function when editing a Pick List which lets you import a file that has your values in it. I didn’t add that function to the Mac version because on the Mac version it’s super easy to just copy a list of values and paste them into the “Add values…” popover view that appears on the Edit Pick List screen. Tap Forms will split each value that’s on a separate row into its own Pick List value. It’s a very quick way of importing your values.

The Link to Form field can only see the records from another form if you create them from the parent form itself. If you want to select from a list of records in a child form, then you need to set the Link Type to be a “Many to Many”. Then you’ll see a checkmark button which lets you pick from the list of child records. Yes, it would be daunting with 600 records either way you do it. How does HandBase associate your records together from different tables/forms?

Thanks,

Brendan

October 12, 2015 at 5:50 AM #14982

Anne O’Keefe
    Participant

Thanks for the fast reply, Brendan! I think pick lists will do what I want for this 600 record database, er, I mean form! I have others that are related that I’ll try to move over. I don’t know how HanDBase links forms, but I’m guessing it is the same. The others aren’t as big, so reconnecting them probably will be doable. I will try the “many to many” type – that may be my issue. Again, thanks so much.

Anne

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.