Summarize all entries of a field

Tagged: ,

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

Reiner Siegmund
    Participant

Hi, I’m a newbie. I didn’t find an answer to my following problem in the forum:
    I use a number field “money” (with currency). Can I summarize all entries of this field e.g. in a calculation field and a formula like sum(money) ?

April 25, 2014 at 10:59 PM #9733

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Reiner,

Yes, you can do this.

Go to the Edit Form screen, then tap on Calculation (on iOS) and then tap on a field you want to perform an aggregate calculation on then select a calculation type (total, minimum, maximum, and average).

On the Mac version you can either have one global calculation, or a separate calculation for each different field that supports that (e.g. number, calculation, rating, or checkmark). You also need to click on the little sigma button when viewing the multi-column list view to tell Tap Forms to show the calculations row. You’ll see all your aggregate calculations displayed there.

Thanks!

Brendan

April 26, 2014 at 1:28 AM #9735

Reiner Siegmund
    Participant

Hello Brendan,
    thanks for your quick replay!
    I can express myself in English poorly. therefore have I created a graphic, what I want to do. I can not find this sigma button from which you write.
    Regards,
    Reiner

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    April 26, 2014 at 4:03 PM #9738

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Reiner,

Oh I see. It’s currently only available on the main records list at the moment. However, if you set a Calculation field and Calculation type on your linked form, Tap Forms will display the results of the one calculation where you are looking.

You can set that on the Edit Form sheet. Look for “Calculation”.

Thanks!

Brendan

Attachments:
    September 15, 2016 at 8:18 AM #19551

Christopher Powers
    Participant

I have a budget at work… several categories.

Lets take for instance my hardware budget and make it $5000 for the year.
    I go and add entries for $9.89, $164.97.
    I have the form calculate those as a “Calculation” Total with a “Type” of “Total”.
    Is there a way to use this total in a calculation field to make that total (the total amount for the entire form) subtract from my $5000 in a “Running Balance” calculation field so I have a running tally with each new entry?

I hope I explained this well enough.
    Please see attached image for example.

Attachments:
    September 15, 2016 at 12:11 PM #19556

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Christopher,

The Calculation field does not have access to the grand totals displayed at the bottom of the records list view. Sorry about that.

Thanks,

Brendan

September 26, 2016 at 6:47 PM #19817

felix f3nd1
    Participant

Hi,

I am still lost how can you add the total sum at the list as per attachment?
    Tried many ways but still unable to get it.

Regards

Attachments:
    September 26, 2016 at 10:01 PM #19819

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Felix,

1. Click the Form button when you have your child form selected on the far left.
    2. Click the Fields tab.
    3. Click the field you want to see a total for.
    4. Scroll the field properties inspector panel all the way down to the bottom.
    5. Click the Summary Calculation popup button.
    6. Choose what summary calculation you would like to see there. You can choose Total, Minimum, Maximum, or Average.

When you do that, the table displayed for a Link to Form field will then display its summary row with the values populated. If you don’t see the totals, click the Sigma button to display the summary row.

Hope that helps!

September 26, 2016 at 11:36 PM #19820

felix f3nd1
    Participant

Thanks for the prompt reply. I got it now.

Can it do “Count” function?

Cheers

September 27, 2016 at 3:46 PM #19823

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Felix,

Well, not directly, but for a Checkmark field, the Total will actually be the count of checked values because the checkmark field has a value of 1 for checked values and 0 for unchecked values.

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.