Suggestion: Location as a Calculation Type?

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms Suggestion: Location as a Calculation Type?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

JoeM
    Participant

I have a >1000 record database with address fields populated. It would be great to use the location capability with the new map view, but I don’t have a “Location” field type already populated. It would be great if I could use the existing address fields in a calculation where the calculation type is Location (like you support Date, for example).

August 19, 2016 at 12:00 PM #18831

Alexander Wolff
    Participant

Hi!
    I would suggest exporting the whole database to Numbers or Excel and create a formula in the row for position that merges the informations from the adress fields in a way according to the google-maps convention.
    I.e you have the fields street, house number, Zip and town.
    The formula should look like “=”street”&” “&”house number”&”, “&”ZIP”&” “town”
    Copy the row and re-insert it as numbers (dunno english term), so that the field dont contain the formula but the inputs instead. Export as csv and reimport it into TF.

Regards,
    A.w.

August 19, 2016 at 9:03 PM #18852

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Joe,

I don’t really understand how a Calculation could be made on a location unless you’re talking about something like “give me the location 10 meters away from here” or something like that.

It sounds like what you’re wanting is for Tap Forms to resolve the address name into a GPS coordinate for you for all of your records, is that right?

Firing now you would have to copy the address to the clipboard, then click on the Location field, then paste the address into the Search field, then press Return to search for that location. Then click the Save button to have that location saved.

August 22, 2016 at 12:55 AM #18946

Alexander Wolff
    Participant

Hi Brendan,
    for this tread is about locations: the last TF-for-iOS update has solved the problem of the locations focus on adresses instead of GPS-Coordinates. Even placed by hand the pins stay in place instead switching to the coordinates google connect with the address.
    Unfortunately the Mac-version does´t act the same way. It shows changes made on an iOS-device correct. But changing the pins in the location window fails, it behaves as before, the pins switch back to the google-locations to the address (i hope my point is understandable to read)
    Will this issue be addressed in the next update?

Regards,
    A. Wolff

August 22, 2016 at 10:52 AM #18960

Brendan
    Keymaster

I’ll look into it on the Mac version too. I worked on the iOS version for that function, but not the Mac version yet.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.