Shortcuts actions support

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

David Gold
    Participant

I was wondering if there were any plans for Shortcuts actions for Tap Forms that could enable one to add or retrieve records?

November 4, 2022 at 11:43 PM #48196

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

It’s a little janky but you can actually use the x-callback stuff to shuttle data via the clipboard to Shortcuts. I’m in the middle of recording some stuff and saw this so maybe I’ll see if I can do a quick proof of concept on how to get this working today and maybe post something.

November 5, 2022 at 12:22 AM #48197

David Gold
    Participant

OK thanks that would be great. I’ve been doing a little bit of this the past few years using Javascript but I don’t know Javascript and had to pay someone to put it together for me. I use Shortcuts a lot though and would be a lot easier for those of us who don’t know Javascript!

November 5, 2022 at 2:43 AM #48199

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

For creating records, I just uploaded a video on creating a share sheet capable shortcut: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJJNBzb1n-Q

This builds on/reuses the barcode scanner one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7oiWtRRuNY

For getting data back to Shortcuts, you’ll want to check out this link: https://youtu.be/72Z7ugj1MRI (might not be immediately available, still processing on YT side)

November 5, 2022 at 5:44 AM #48200

David Gold
    Participant

Thank you! The scripting is beyond my pay grade and would still love some kind of Shortcuts support in Tap Forms but what you’ve put together at least shows their is a “hacky” solution at the moment.

November 5, 2022 at 8:35 AM #48201

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

Yah, this isn’t the greatest solution due to the hop over to TF and back but you can basically pull out what ever content you want out of TF and into the Shortcuts ecosystem this way. I’d definitely love a more polished way of executing scripts that takes input and provides output (e.g. scripts support taking a dictionary and provide a dictionary), maybe a feature for a future release. Hopefully this is enough to get you further along with what ever other help you’ve got available to you :)

November 5, 2022 at 8:37 PM #48202

Brendan
    Keymaster

I had hoped to be able to add a Siri Intent that allowed you to create a record in Tap Forms but I couldn’t figure out how to configure Siri Intents to have a variable number of parameters for the fields in a form. Since a form can have a variable number of fields, and a fixed number of parameters needs to be defined in Xcode, it made it impossible to build something dynamic. But that was a while ago when Siri Intents just came out. Maybe there’s new APIs to let me add an infinite number of parameters now. Not sure. Although I suppose a not so friendly way would be maybe to have one parameter that’s a dictionary, but then you’d have to provide all the field IDs as keys.

It’s something I’ll look into for a future version.

November 5, 2022 at 10:32 PM #48205

David Gold
    Participant

OK great.Thanks.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.