Sending copy to a different computer

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Carl Leivers
    Participant

Hi there!

Another question —

I’m trying to set up sync between two computers (iMac and MacBook Pro). They aren’t in the same location so I can’t use AirDrop and I’m having trouble figuring out how to get them to open with the same Document ID.

I tried creating a backup from the iMac (the device with all the info) and importing that with the MacBook Pro but that didn’t work. Then I tried taking that backup and using the “Migrate from a Previous Version” option and I get the message “A file with the name “blahblahblah.tapforms” already exists.

Am I missing something or is there an easier way to do this?

Thanks!

Carl

August 15, 2018 at 10:44 AM #30273

Carl Leivers
    Participant

I should add that I was thinking it was a leftover of when I trying to get sync to work so I uninstalled TapForms, downloaded a fresh trial version and am getting the same message.

Also I tried using the Migrate option and just put in a different name but that didn’t work either.

Thanks!

Carl

August 15, 2018 at 10:53 PM #30276

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Carl,

The migrate function should be used only one time to migrate an old Tap Forms 3.5 backup file to Tap Forms 5.

From then on you just need to send the already migrated .tapforms document over to your other device. You can do that using the Backup function in Tap Forms 5 to create a backup file, then use the Restore function in Tap Forms 5 on your other computer to restore that backup file. That’s how you’ll get the Document IDs to be the same because they’ll be the same file.

Every time you migrate a backup file, you get a new Document ID, even if you’re migrating the same backup file more than once.

August 16, 2018 at 5:40 AM #30277

Carl Leivers
    Participant

The restore function is not selectable for me on the File menu (see screenshot). Am I missing a step to let me use that option?

Thanks!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    August 16, 2018 at 8:29 AM #30279

Carl Leivers
    Participant

Nevermind, got it — thanks!

August 16, 2018 at 9:47 AM #30280

Brendan
    Keymaster

Ya, the Restore function is available only from the main Database Documents window. So you have to bring that forward. In my next update I’ve changed that so it can be selected even if you have another window in the foreground.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.