Send to iPad and iPhone not working

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

Chris Nichols
    Participant

Sorry to be a pain, but having experienced problems with nearby and cloudant sync, I thought I might start again. So deleted (what I thought was) the problem database from my iPhone with the intent of sending a new copy from my Mac.

Now the ‘send document to another device’ function doesn’t work. When I select the document to send from the Mac, the iPhone asks me to accept the document being sent, but once accept is pressed, the dialog disappears and then nothing happens. I have experienced when I first installed Tap 5, then all of a sudden it worked.

I have never been able to send to my iPad either, ever.

Can you please look into this problem as I have seen other forum posts that mention this issue too.

Thanks

Chris

September 15, 2016 at 4:09 PM #19564

Brendan
    Keymaster

This can happen if you’re trying to send between iOS 10 and El Capitan or between iOS 9 and macOS Sierra. But sending from iOS 9 to El Capitan should work and sending from iOS 10 to macOS Sierra should work. Apple seems to have changed something in the Multi-Peer Connectivity framework that I use to make that function work.

September 19, 2016 at 7:34 AM #19626

Robyn Miller
    Participant

This is happening to me as well. I got an iPad 2 Mini yesterday, and was trying to send my files to it. Same thing… I tap ‘accept’ on the Mini and the dialogue box disappears and nothing happens. I also upgraded from an iPhone 6 to a 7 Plus on Friday (upgrading to iOS 10 at the same time)… since then no sync :(

Hope you figure out what they changed soon… good luck!

Mac – El Capitan 10.11.3
    iPhone & iPad Mini – 10.0.1
    Mac Tap Forms – 5.0.6 (also tried with 5.0.5 before updating)
    (guess I will wait on updating the other iPad!)

September 19, 2016 at 9:22 AM #19628

Brendan
    Keymaster

Does the transfer work between your iPhone and iPad mini both using iOS 10?

September 19, 2016 at 9:23 AM #19629

Brendan
    Keymaster

By the way, you can also use iTunes File Sharing to transfer your .tapforms documents from your Mac to your iOS devices.

September 19, 2016 at 9:31 AM #19632

Robyn Miller
    Participant

Yes, I can send the files from the iPhone to the iPad with iOS 10 on both.

I am too lazy to use the manual file sharing transfer through iTunes :P If I really need something on one of my mobile devices I will try it out, but it isn’t vital right now. When Sierra hits tomorrow I will download it and hopefully it will resolve the issue… although then I get to find out what other little changes they have made to screw up things I need to do for work!

September 20, 2016 at 7:30 PM #19683

Robyn Miller
    Participant

I am now running Sierra 10.12… still no sync :'(

I haven’t tried pushing a database file to another device yet, as they are all already on my devices. If needed I suppose I could delete one and try.

But the good news is that my lone iOS device still running iOS 9 still syncs.

September 20, 2016 at 8:03 PM #19688

bob
    Participant

I’ve been pulling my hair out with ios10 and el cap..
    Ive found just going into sync settings and removing a device(s), on any or all devices, and re-adding gets it back on track.

September 20, 2016 at 8:06 PM #19690

Brendan
    Keymaster

Robyn,

Do the documents you’re trying to sync have the exact same database name on the Cloud sync settings screen?

September 20, 2016 at 8:06 PM #19691

Robyn Miller
    Participant

What do you mean by ‘removing’? do you mean delete the file and re-sending to a device?

September 20, 2016 at 8:14 PM #19695

Brendan
    Keymaster

Robyn,

I think he means remove the device from the list of devices you’re syncing with (for Nearby Sync), then adding them again. That resets the last synced sequence number back to 0 and starts the sync process again. Somewhat akin to the old Reset Sync function in Tap Forms 3/4.

September 20, 2016 at 8:18 PM #19696

Robyn Miller
    Participant

It synced!

I am including screen shots from the device (iPhone 7 Plus, 10.0.1)… When I went to check the db name I noticed something strange. The sync credentials were cleared out, but the “sign out” button was still active as though I were still signed in. Upon tapping “sign out” I got an error message stating there was trouble signing in. I then re-entered the creds.

I could swear the creds were there yesterday… but can’t trust my brain at this hour. I am 99% sure I tried signing out and back in, but I don’t remember which device(s) that was.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.