Sections in multi-column view

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Martin Inchley
    Participant

In multi-column view with “Show sections” enabled, when my records are sorted on a Date field, the sections are set automatically to include the records for each month. Is there a way of changing that default section period to, say, a year or a day?

I have a Script field that holds a record’s applicable tax year in 4-digit format (e.g. 1819). When I sort on that field to get some totals for a tax year, the multi-column view shows no sections at all. This is all regardless of showing/hiding Group summaries, and showing/hiding the Calculations row. Nor do sections show up if I sort (e.g.) on account number

November 27, 2019 at 2:36 PM #38340

Brendan
    Keymaster

Set the Group Records By option to your 4-digit tax year field and you’ll see your records grouped properly by that field.

November 27, 2019 at 5:43 PM #38348

Martin Inchley
    Participant

Thanks, Brendan.

What about the issue of the Date field only grouping records by month? I notice that the Date field is actually missing from the drop-down list under Group Records By.

November 27, 2019 at 7:48 PM #38352

Brendan
    Keymaster

Ya, that’s right. The Date field automatically groups by month and year when you set the First Sort Field to it, so you don’t need to set it on the Group Records By option for Date fields.

I didn’t implement a regular Group Records By date feature because there are so many different ways to represent a date, I’d have to have a date format configuration along side the Group Records By feature. But it’s not needed anymore because you can use the Calculation field to achieve the same thing.

Use the DATE(date field; "MMM") function to group your records however you’d like. This example would group by the month name. But of course it would ignore the year, so all months would be grouped together.

Calculation fields can be grouped. So by extension, you can group Date fields too.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.