Section Headings in Saved Searches

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Frank Tikket
    Participant

Brendan,

I absolutely LOVE the smart search/smart filter to turn my massive database into output results tailored for my search criteria.

I would like to request a simple “GROUPING” of saved searches, something like the collapsible section headings you have in record view.

Another preference would be to make certain “section headings” remain collapsed or open based on the smart search your viewing, rather than a global setting you have today where if you collapse a section heading it would remain collapsed in all smart searches, or open would remain open.

I’m looking to consolidate my relational databases into huge records powered by smart searches that go directly to the section heading related to my smart search. :)

March 31, 2015 at 4:01 PM #13243

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Frank,

Are you referring to the iOS or Mac version? I guess probably both.

Thanks for the feature request.

Brendan

March 31, 2015 at 9:47 PM #13246

Frank Tikket
    Participant

Well how hard would it be to do both? If it’s something simple like applying the coding to smart searches that you currently have today for section headings in records then great.

I know your working on other stuff (like a faster database engine) so don’t want to bogg you down :)

April 1, 2015 at 1:37 AM #13247

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Frank,

There’s lots of work for a feature like that. I would have to first modify the database structure to include a new spot to put that section information. Then I would have to write code to let you move searches into and out of folders, then display those searches in a hierarchical manner on the Mac version, but with collapsible section headings on the iOS version. It’s more work than you would think. Plus if there was any text required to explain how to do it, that has to be localize by my volunteer translators into a dozen different languages.

Sometimes a change is small, but if it requires any new user interface elements, text, and database changes, it can take quite a while to build.

Thanks!

Brendan

April 1, 2015 at 9:14 AM #13249

Frank Tikket
    Participant

I see, then in that case put it on the back burner :-)

How much trouble would it be to just do part two: where basically the record section headings that you open/collapse stay that way for all records in that saved search?

For example, in saved search #1 the first section heading I would open, the second i would collapse…. In saved search #2, the first section heading i would now collapse and the second section heading i would open. With the currently global setting, if I collapse one-it collapses across all saved searches.

If I have 500 fields in a record, and information is divided up by groups (or section headings)… with saved searches this becomes extremely convenient or organize data and find what your looking for quickly based on a specific saved search without scrolling through 500 fields in a record! :)

(In my instance, I am basically moving customers through various stages-each stage being a collapsable section heading…. so filtering to see all stage 1 clients with stage 1 data, then all stage 2 clients with stage 2 data, etc…)

April 1, 2015 at 11:17 PM #13254

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Frank,

Well the Record Details Screen doesn’t really know anything about the search that was used to get there. It just knows about the record itself. I can imagine it could be troublesome for some people who have multiple searches and go in to the details and find that they have to keep opening or closing the same sections for every search. Although generally people don’t have too many searches. So I’m not really sure. I’ll think about it.

Thanks,

Brendan

April 2, 2015 at 3:10 PM #13257

Frank Tikket
    Participant

Perhaps a toggle switch for “global or independent” settings would work…. and people could choose :-)

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.