Searching for numbers not working properly

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms Searching for numbers not working properly

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Chris Ward
    Participant

Why does TapForms not find numbers properly in Number fields?
    I have a field “Frequency” of type “Number”. In this field there are various frequencies, some with decimal points, some without. If I search for (e.g) “105” it finds all frequencies which contain the number “105” (for example 105.0 105.1 etc).
    But if I search for a specific frequency which has a decimal point (e.g. 105.1), it finds nothing, even though it is definitely there.

I’ve found that by going into Edit Search and specifying the exact field I can make it work, but a simple search box should work generically.

This is very frustrating, does anyone know why is this happening?

January 5, 2015 at 2:11 AM #12553

Brendan
    Keymaster

It’s because numbers are also stored in the full text search index. The full text search index ignores punctuation but makes searching faster. I’ll have to think about that. I may not be able to use the search engine if it’s a problem. But searches would be slower for numbers then.

January 5, 2015 at 4:47 AM #12556

Chris Ward
    Participant

Thanks Brendan. I wouldn’t have any issue with a slightly slower search, if I use the Advanced Search to search the specific field, it finds results in my database of 10,000 records in the blink of an eye.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.