Search in Chinese

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Alan Wong
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

I found that searching in Chinese only returns strings at the beginning of a line.
    E.g. A text field contains “AaBbCc”. Searching for “Aa” shows the record. Searching for “Bb” doesn’t.

Can this be fixed? Thank you!

Regards,
    Alan

April 1, 2014 at 1:18 AM #9566

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Alan,

Are you running Tap Forms in Chinese or are you just searching for Chinese characters when running in an English system?

Thanks,

Brendan

April 1, 2014 at 11:33 PM #9597

Alan Wong
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

I don’t know I can “run Tap Forms in Chinese”, so I guess it’s the latter. I set my Mac’s preferred language to English(Primary) and Traditional Chinese. My iPhone and iPad are set to English.

Alan

April 2, 2014 at 1:20 AM #9603

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Alan,

Then that is the issue. You can run Tap Forms in Traditional Chinese on the iOS version by switching the language under the Switch Language function in the Tools area. After you do that, you’ll need to force-quit Tap Forms then re-launch it. The user interface will now be in Traditional Chinese along with the built-in forms. Now when you do searches, you should be able to search within words.

When your device is set to English, Tap Forms uses the FTS search index built-in to SQLite which does not allow you to search for words within words. That is, it will only search the start of words, not anything in the middle of a word. Words in this case being anything separated by spaces or punctuation.

Tap Forms does searches a little differently when it’s running in Non-Roman character based languages. Instead of using the fast FTS search index, it uses a slower query to look for your search term within words. In SQL speak it uses a “LIKE” command, which is unable to utilize an index when searching your records. If an index can’t be used, then searches are a lot slower.

Thanks,

Brendan

April 2, 2014 at 3:05 AM #9605

Alan Wong
    Participant

Thanks for explaining to me, Brendan.

It would be nice if Tap Forms may detect if I am searching for Roman or non-Roman characters and decide on which search method to use. Or if we are given an choice in the Preferences. But I know I am asking for a lot.

Thanks.

Alan

April 2, 2014 at 3:16 AM #9606

Alan Wong
    Participant

I now see what you mean by “Switch Language”. If I do “Switch Language” to Chinese, does it change all words in the system menu to Chinese? Does it make any changes to the database? If I am not happy with the switch and change it back to English, would there be any changes like the formatting of notes?

Thanks!

Alan

April 2, 2014 at 12:14 PM #9610

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Alan,

When you switch languages, Tap Forms will update all of the built-in form’s form names and field labels. It won’t change any data. You can freely switch back to English if you don’t like the way the form names and field names have been translated.

Remember you have to force-quit Tap Forms after you switch languages in order to see the user interface elements displayed in Traditional Chinese.

Thanks!

Brendan

April 3, 2014 at 1:46 AM #9623

Alan Wong
    Participant

This sounds good. Thank you very much!

Alan

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.