Requests for Javascript editor

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

David Butenhof
    Participant

It’d be great to make this more of an IDE. You have some syntax color tagging, which is nice; but for example it’d be great to be able to re-indent a script to prettify it, and to be able to select a range and use TAB and SHIFT-TAB to indent and de-indent a block.

The mechanism for referencing fields by “ID” is also awkward, especially since the only way to get the ID is to use a button that inserts a complete assignment statement. At the very least, a lookup function that takes a field name and returns the ID would make this a bit easier to work with; and also make the script a lot easier to read.

(And, by the way, in case it’s not obvious, I think this addition is an amazing idea.)

September 22, 2018 at 6:08 PM #30722

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi David,

Yes, you’re definitely right about all that. It’s just a first crack at this feature so it will get better as I work more on it. It’d be great if Xcode had a plug-in to provide its source code editor into other apps.

I was thinking about the field ID thing the other day, that perhaps I could recognize the “cleaned” field name as an ID and you’d just have to type in the field name instead of assigning a field ID to a var. Again, first crack at it.

I’m glad that you’re enjoying and using this new feature!

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.