Relationships question

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Eric Ravilious
    Participant

Could anyone help a newbie in setting up a two way relationship in tapforms. Can I explain what I am trying to do. Cataloging a CD collection we have the cd itself in the Parent form. The pieces of music on it appear as a child. So “Golden Classics” contains two pieces. Beethoven’s Banjo Concerto and Brahms fifth symphony. When I view the parent I see the two related records fine, when I search within the pieces child form for Brahms Banjo I find the record just fine BUT there is no reference back to its parent, its simply not listed so I don’t actually know from the database what CD the piece appears on. Its me I know but a solution doesn’t present itself.

Any ideas??

Thanks

Stephen

October 8, 2014 at 6:08 PM #11043

1Levite
    Participant

Hi Stephen:

I assume that you have set up a one-to-many LINK-TO-FORM field in the CD form, linking to the PIECES form.

Can you verify if you have the “show inverse relationship” box checked on the LINK-TO-FORM field in the CD form? It should be checked.

When checked, Tapforms will automatically add a LINK-FROM-FROM field to the CD form and you’ll see the parent CD on the PIECES form.

Beethoven has a banjo concerto? Fur Elise & Pete Seeger?

October 9, 2014 at 7:36 PM #11051

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Eric,

Exactly as 1Levite has said, just enable the Show Inverse Relationship function and Tap Forms will take care of it for you.

Thanks!

Brendan

October 10, 2014 at 12:17 AM #11055

Eric Ravilious
    Participant

Thanks so much for this. What happened was i exported two related tables from a MS access database, obviously the link wasn’t maintained but the information was there. I created a new relationship for future records but it never seemed to work even for those new ones. by creating a brand new form, linking to that and following your instructions everything is Hunky Dory.

Many Thanks

Stephen

PS So far very impressed with this software

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.