Relationships Pt 2

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

John H2Only
    Participant

OK. Got a grasp on actually putting a window in a layout. But: how do I use it?

For instance: using the Invoice Template supplied by our Glorious Leader, how do I, in invoice form, select data from within the Products form so as to auto-fill the invoice. I rather suspect it has to do with pick lists, but I haven’t figured out how to make that happen.

And: self-anticipating my next obvious question: can picking ‘product name’ then auto-populate things like cost per unit?

Also: can this go to the next level, and the auto-fill be a copy/paste-ish thing rather than a forever-live link between the forms? Ran into this in FMP, where I kept it live, and price changes, for instance, wreaked inestimable havoc with our db (not to mention cardiac arrests with our book-keeping folks ;) )

I’m loving the simplicity of the dev workflow, but haven’t done anything like this in some time, other than HTML/PHP work, and even that was a few years ago. Also, not yet used to the methods in TF. Apologies if this is a way simple thing.

August 4, 2021 at 9:51 AM #44911

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi John,

Below the Table field there’s a checkmark button. Click on that and it will display a list of products to choose from. Tap Forms will then create a new sub-record and copy the values from the fields that match the field names in the Table field into the new sub-record.

With a Table field, the values are copied and not referenced, so it’s not a forever link like would be in a Link to Form field.

That’s the main purpose of the Table field and to be able to connect them to another form like that. Tap Forms will simply copy the values and if you change the Product price for a product you’ve already selected, it will not change in the Table field. But it would if it were a Link to Form field.

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.