Relational quote database

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

Calion
    Participant

I am trying to do pretty much exactly this in Tap Forms, but I’m having a hard time figuring out how. In essence, I want to be able to pull information from my Sources database into my Quotes database. Each record in the Quotes database refers to one record in Sources, but one source can have many Quotes. How do I construct this in Tap Forms?

November 27, 2016 at 1:39 PM #20486

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Calion,

Add a Link to Form field on your Source form which links to your Quotes form. Choose the One-to-Many Link Type. Enable the “Show Inverse Relationship” function.

Then when you look at a Source record, you can then associate which quotes belong to that source. Once you’ve done that for each of your source records, when you look directly at a quote record you’ll be able to see which source it came from.

November 27, 2016 at 3:01 PM #20487

Calion
    Participant

Great! That’s almost got it. Thanks. Now I want one more thing: To be able to link to a different record in the Source database in a different field in the Quotes database, for a “Quoted in” field.

November 27, 2016 at 3:08 PM #20488

Brendan
    Keymaster

Well the inverse relationship from the Quotes record will tell you the parent Source record. Is that not the same as what you mean by “Quoted In”?

November 27, 2016 at 3:13 PM #20489

Calion
    Participant

Here’s an example of what I’m talking about:

Zukofsky, Louis. “Sincerity and Objectification.” Poetry 37 (February 1931): 269. Quoted in Bonnie Costello, Marianne Moore: Imaginary Possessions. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 1981.

http://guides.lib.monash.edu/c.php?g=219786&p=1454478

November 27, 2016 at 3:39 PM #20490

Brendan
    Keymaster

Well you can add a website field that you can link to in your Quotes form that takes you to the website.

Linking in Tap Forms is specifically at the record level though. That is, you can’t link to a specific field in another record, just to the record as a while.

November 27, 2016 at 4:06 PM #20491

Calion
    Participant

That’s fine; I just want to link to two different records from Sources from the same record in Quotes. One Source record for the “Source” field in Quotes, and one Source record for the “Quoted in” field.

November 29, 2016 at 3:47 PM #20501

Calion
    Participant

So can Tap Forms do this? Can if link to two different records from the same form from two different fields in one record?

November 29, 2016 at 4:11 PM #20502

Brendan
    Keymaster

yes you can do that. Just add another Link to Form field that points to the same form. They can each have their own different set of linked records.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.