Re-sorting Record List

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Daffydoc99
    Participant

Have created several data bases of membership lists. All but one neatly show an alphabet header over the records for each group of records beginning with the letter. All start with “A” records at the top of the list and “Z” records at the bottom.

The “outlier” data base is in reverse order and no alphabetical headers appear. I cannot figure out what setting needs to be changed — it looks exactly the same as the other data bases. Thank you!

August 20, 2013 at 2:45 PM #6496

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Daffy :-)

Do you see a # in the heading? What type of field is your First Sort Field set to? That’s what dictates the header. Also, do you have Group Records By set? That takes priority over the First Sort Field’s automatic indexing from A-Z.

August 20, 2013 at 4:47 PM #6497

Daffydoc99
    Participant

Thanks for the Instant Response!

Yes, there is a # in the header over the records. My First Sort Field is set to “Last Name.” The Group Records By is set to “unspecified.” It looks just the same as other data bases, which are OK. Weird.

August 20, 2013 at 4:54 PM #6498

Daffydoc99
    Participant

Okay…..the # no longer shows in the header over the records. There is a drop-down menu with the letters of the alphabet in reverse order. Z at the top.

August 21, 2013 at 11:38 PM #6499

Brendan
    Keymaster

Ok, that’s great. If you want to reverse the sort order, then just click the up arrow next to the First Sort Field. That’ll then sort the records by ascending order.

Thanks!

Brendan

August 22, 2013 at 5:21 PM #6505

Roo
    Participant

This has been a useful thread for me. I always seem to have struggled with these settings and it has been pretty much a trial and error process. I did not realize that the Group settings take precedence over the other settings though it makes sense. I also did not realize that you can deselect a setting by swiping so now I have sorted out my sortings!

Why don’t you place the Group settings at the top of the list which would make it more intuitive? Maybe a little instruction in small print saying to swipe to left to remove setting would also help.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.