Question about Saved Searches

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author

neil dionisio
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

already figured out the save search thanks for the support but i have new problem.

i created save search namely ‘January’ , ‘February’ , and ‘March’ these are the save search created to filter my forecast form by their date (monthly). but when it appears on my save search it is sorted alphabetically. the ‘February’ comes first and then followed by january and march. but i needed to arrange it by month. is there a way that i can re arrange the positions of the save search?

i attached the screenshot. thanks!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    March 9, 2016 at 9:49 PM #16071

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Neil,

I moved your question to a new topic because it had nothing to do with Conditional Checkboxes which is where you posted this question.

Sorry, but Tap Forms doesn’t know that those month names are chronological in nature since they’re just text strings. It sorts those alphabetically.

What you can do is prefix them with numbers and then it should sort properly.

Thanks,

Brendan

September 28, 2016 at 7:08 AM #19828

Tyson Schoeber
    Participant

Hi Brenden,

This older question was about the sorting of Saved Searches, so I thought I would add onto it because my question relates to that topic, too.

Tap Forms 3 seemed to sort all Saved Searches alphabetically but the new version does not always do so. I’ve noticed that it is now possible to (accidentally) rearrange sorts by just clicking and dragging the wrong a bit. Similarly, NEW saved searches end up at the bottom of the list until you exit and restart the program. (They used to be automatically and immediately sorted alphabetically.)

Am I missing something here? Thanks for your support, as always!

September 28, 2016 at 9:35 AM #19831

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Tyson,

That’s right. Tap Forms 5 now has the ability to let you manually position the saved searches wherever you want them to be. The same goes for forms. You can drag and drop forms around to rearrange their order or even to move them to a different category.

September 28, 2016 at 8:30 PM #19834

Tyson Schoeber
    Participant

And what if that’s not seen as advantage?!? Is there any way to restore the “lost” functionality through a preference setting? ; )

September 28, 2016 at 9:46 PM #19835

Brendan
    Keymaster

Well Tap Forms should remember where you drag the forms and saved searches to. So you can just arrange them alphabetically the one time and just leave them there.

September 29, 2016 at 6:24 AM #19836

Tyson Schoeber
    Participant

Fair enough … but let’s call this a feature request! Please add back a preferences ability to alphabetically sort Saved Searches. : )

October 4, 2016 at 12:24 AM #19909

Gregory
    Participant

mmm… on iOS, are the Saved Searches *always* sorted alphabetically? my sort settings on Mac are not being reflected on iOS.

October 4, 2016 at 7:02 AM #19911

Tyson Schoeber
    Participant

I’m finding that I am accidentally changing the sort order of Saved Searches on a regular basis — and then spend time fixing things — on a pretty regular basis these days. : (

I realize that the new function was intended to be helpful but I’m finding it to be the opposite.

If a Preferences setting to AUTOMATICALLY sort Saved Searches in alphabetical order isn’t doable at present, how about giving the user some sort of way to MANUALLY sort the list — something like the one found in the Edit Pick Lists window?

October 4, 2016 at 7:46 AM #19912

Gregory
    Participant

Tyson, are you on Mac or iOS?

on the Mac, changing the order of the Saved Searches requires holding the mouse down while you drag the searches, not easy to do by accident.

on iOS, I have found no way to custom-sort the saved searches. they’re always sorted alphabetically.

October 4, 2016 at 12:01 PM #19916

Brendan
    Keymaster

I guess I forgot to implement manually sorting of the Saved Searches on iOS. I’ll get to that.

Ya, I’m not too sure how you would accidentally change the position of the Saved Searches beneath the form though. Click, drag, release. That’s what’s required. Although I suppose if you had a shaky hand that could cause it to move accidentally. My dad has something called “Essential Tremors” that affects his ability to do some things like that.

October 4, 2016 at 9:31 PM #19924

Tyson Schoeber
    Participant

I’m working on a Mac — and I’m finding that Saved Searches can now be moved very easily, with only a slight delay on a click. I liked it much better the way it was! : )

October 13, 2016 at 9:41 PM #20049

Tyson Schoeber
    Participant

I have been watching my Saved Searches very closely over the past little while and I am virtually convinced that there is a way to make two Saved Searches swap position with a single, quick mouse click. No upward or downward movement is required at all!

My guess is that it’s a bit of a bug because I think searches in v5 were MEANT to be moveable only by design, not accident! I’m still trying to figure out EXACTLY what causes these single-click switches. Once I’ve got it all figured out, I will report back.

Yet, has anyone else seen this sort of behaviour?

October 14, 2016 at 9:04 AM #20052

Brendan
    Keymaster

The thing is, other than Tap Forms rearranging the searches in the array, the actual mechanics of the drag and drop operation are provided by the operating system. Tap Forms simply reacts to the “acceptDrop” command when the operating system sends that message to Tap Forms and it rearranges the array of searches and then saves to the database. So I’m not sure how I could possibly make it so it’s less sensitive to accidental drag and drops.

October 16, 2016 at 5:02 PM #20064

Tyson Schoeber
    Participant

If this is indeed a case of the OS being overly sensitive to accidental drag and drops, then creating an option in Preferences to sort the Saved Searches alphabetically seems wise. It is happening to me several times a week. I’d bet I”m not the only one!

β€œIn life, it is often the tiny details that end up being the most important.”
    β€” Lemony Snicket, The Reptile Room

February 6, 2020 at 9:58 AM #39509

Dermot Kennedy
    Participant

I have about 100 Saved Searches now so I’d like to put them in alphabetical order. I used the drag and drop operation on my Mac but ran into two problems. Firstly, the reordered searches did not sync to my iPhone or iPad (sync works fine for updating records). Secondly, when I backed up my forms using File/Backup on the Mac all the searches reverted to the random order they were in before.

February 6, 2020 at 11:37 AM #39513

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Dermot,

That leads me to believe the reordering didn’t save the new ordering positions.

Can you do a test by moving just one search and see if that works? If it didn’t sync that change and then it reverted after the backup, it leads me to believe that it didn’t save. Because it’s the act of saving that triggers the sync. Perhaps a glitch. Quit and re-launch Tap Forms and try again.

February 7, 2020 at 8:11 AM #39526

Dermot Kennedy
    Participant

Hi Brendan,
    It’s working again now and it is saving. Once I realised it was working I went ahead and re-ordered everything again by drag and drop.
    I had to close and open the IOS apps a few times to get sync working properly but it is all syncing automatically now.
    I’m guessing that Save has been broken for some time because changes I made on the iPad and iPhone were synced back to the Mac which meant I had to do some of the re-ordering again. I had to drag and drop Saved Searches I created on the iPad and iPhone to get them to appear on the Mac.
    Anyway, all three devices now have matching Saved Searches.
    Many thanks.

Viewing 17 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.