Photos linked or embedded?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

leschnei
    Participant

New user question – When I have photos or files associated with a record, are those items embedded in my tap form file or linked but separate? If they are linked, will the link be broken if the photo/file is moved on my hard disk? Thanks.

August 22, 2013 at 10:40 PM #6506

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi,

Photos are copied into a special Photos folder within the Tap Forms sandboxed container. So you can delete the original photo if you want. Tap Forms will contain a copy of it, but with a uniquely generated file name.

Photos are stored in:

~/Library/Containers/com.tapforms.mac/Data/Documents/Photos

if you’ve enabled iCloud Sync in Tap Forms they’re copied to:

~/Library/Mobile Documents/FXLPHZS84D~com~clickspace~tapforms/Documents/Photos

The reason they’re copied and not just linked to is for sync purposes and to avoid the situation you were asking about.

Thanks!

Brendan

August 23, 2013 at 4:48 AM #6509

leschnei
    Participant

Thanks for the explanation – that was very clear.

October 14, 2013 at 2:04 AM #6927

EddieCG
    Participant

This also answered my question, but raised another. How can I tell which photo on iCloud is linked to which record? I have Tap Forms on my iPad at the moment, which only has 3 photos stored in 2 records, but there are 5 photos in iCloud.

I also have Tap Forms Lite on my iPhone, which I am experimenting with to see if it does what I want it to. If I upgrade to the full program, will the photos from my iPad and my iPhone be stored in the same place on iCloud?

October 15, 2013 at 2:52 AM #6939

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Eddie,

To find out which photos are linked to which records in your form, you’ll need to generate an export of your records. The photo field will contain the file name of the photo that’s in your iCloud account.

Yes, the Lite version and iPhone full version and iPad HD and Mac versions of Tap Forms all store their iCloud data in the same folder. That’s how the sync is facilitated. Tap Forms simply stores files into the Mobile Documents folder for Tap Forms and then iCloud does its thing in the background to sync all those files to the other devices.

Thanks,

Brendan

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.