PDF filename

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Leo
    Participant

Brendan,

could it be possible to have a filename of a Print/ create PDF – Mail PDF named as the custom layout name instead of the form name?
    I have several custom layout I mail decently as PDF from the printdialog, often they don’t have a logical name for the recipient.

Hope you see what I mean…

Leo

July 23, 2017 at 1:55 PM #23758

Mike Schwartz
    Participant

Leo,

I can see that selecting Print/PDF/Mail PDF will just insert a pre-named PDF file into a new Mail message as you implied. You might prefer that the default name is the custom layout name, but others might prefer the form name as a more logical choice. People might not be too happy if they don’t have a custom layout, and their file attachment takes the name “Default Layout”.

In any case, selecting Print/PDF/Save As PDF… gives you a dialog box where you can enter a file name. As a work-around, save the file to your desktop with a name of your choosing, and then attach it to a Mail message in Mail or “Share” it to Mail from the Finder.

Hope that helps.

— Mike

July 23, 2017 at 10:15 PM #23762

Leo
    Participant

Hi Mike,

off course I know this work around. But I have a lot of mail to send a day with different purposes. Working this way increases the possibility of making mistakes and more work.

It would be great if a solution is made. i.e. the possibility to enter the filename in the property of the custom layout.

To avoid mistakes I now send the file with the form name but in most cases it’s not logical to the recipient. Its a choice between two, mistakes or not logical naming.

July 24, 2017 at 10:54 AM #23766

Brendan
    Keymaster

I think the filename comes from this line of code:

NSPrintOperation *op = [NSPrintOperation printOperationWithView:printView
    	                                              printInfo:printInfo];
    [op setJobTitle:self.selection.selectedForm.name];

So I think the setJobTitle method causes that.

I could set it to use the Layout Name if you’re selected only on a custom layout and use the form name if you’re selected on the default layout.

It would be nice if it also used the Saved Search name too if that was selected.

July 24, 2017 at 11:09 AM #23767

Leo
    Participant

Brendan,

you are the greatest! Nice, nice, nice….

Leo

July 24, 2017 at 10:13 PM #23771

Leo
    Participant

The most simple solution would be an extra property in the form properties, i.e. PDF NAME. And in addition would it be completely nice if one or more fields could be added with the filename i.e. PDFNAME %field1 %field2.

Leo

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.